Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

11 points for 2019 WY

What would you do?

Guide
    DYI
    Archery

Been doing tons of research, thinking its about time to spend some points. Struggling with deciding what to do. Guide, no guide, type 9 or type 1. Have been archery hunting elk in the past, but its been a few years due to life.... Never been on a back-country horse type hunt which sounds appealing, but I'm more of a DYI type guy. All the websites in the world are no substitute for some first hand opinions. Being a non res I understand the wilderness requirements but I don't want to squander a once in a lifetime tag. Seems to me the more prestigious units there is no chance of me pulling a tag.

Been a member here for quite some time, although I don't do much posting, figured there has to be someone out there that can provide a little guidance. Not looking for a hotspot, just looking for a quality experience that may get me an opportunity.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The guide or DIY is the biggest hang up for me. I guess my real question is this, I'm sitting on 11 pts, never been on a guided hunt, don't know a thing about it worth the $. I would like to believe that I could get one DIY but
    really don't want to piss it away.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 249 Times in 25 Posts
    Depends entirely on what you're searching/ hoping for.. do you want a backcountry horseback hunt in amazing country with potential for big bulls? If you have the funds and want a true backcountry elk experience, you have the points to draw some very good hunts that have some top notch outfitters working in the areas. . Id suggest you at least take a look at and even talk to Josh Martoglio of Trails West Outfitters. Also Tre Heiner and Washakie Outfitters take some giants every year as well. The units those outfitters operate in are wilderness so guide is necessary for you to hunt it, and those guys know what they are doing and are well respected for that reason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts
    it shows a lot of the desert country as blue chip,,if I had 11 points,id d I y it in some of those areas,,you should pull a tag soon though 11 is no guarantee,good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ore hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Trails West. Hunted with them. Units 61 and 62. Got a booker in 61. In all my life of elk hunt I’ve never seen so many monster bulls. In the wilderness you have to go with a outfitter. I did the rifle hunt. Would advise doing the same but archery ok.. Wolfs and grizz there. Hunted with them 2012. Look at the pics on his site. Self explanatory. There’s another unit to look at and that’s the 56. My points are building up again. I would put in for the regular tag not the bribery tag ( special )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Deep down, opportunity is more valuable than bull size. Love to archery hunt them, but based upon my lack of success over the years, thought it may be best if able to return with a rifle if archery didn't pan out. As far as the grizzly areas, hunted around Dubois years back and only came face to face with a sow and older cub once. She came into a bugle across a meadow, quickly, stopped about 150 yds out and stood up. Bear spray didn't make me feel to secure...we bailed...didn't wait around to see what she/they did. I suppose the guides are why more savvy, but every year the griz seams to thin out a hunter or two. makes me nervous.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 156 Times in 18 Posts
    I hunted 61 with Josh this year with a bow. Pics are in the thread on the Wyoming page if you're interested in seeing the bull and the country.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grizzly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 350 Times in 57 Posts
    Everyone has different priorities. Do you have to shoot a big one? Do you have to shoot a decent bull? Would you be happier shooting an average bull on your own, or rather shoot a big one even if you can't make a single decision in the hunt? Nothing wrong with hiring a guide if you know you really just need the experience, and don't want to spend a couple k on gear you don't have. Going with a guide guarantees you nothing though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Giving a lot of consideration to unit 22. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
    Giving a lot of consideration to unit 22. Thoughts?
    Good luck drawing 22.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast