Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Either will work fine. I'd let it depend on what weight bullets each rifle shot best. If the 30-06 likes 150 grain bullets and the 7mm likes 175's I'd use the 30-06 for deer and the 7 mag for elk. If the 7 mag likes 140's and the 30-06 likes 180's I'd do the opposite. If both like 160 or 165's I'd just pick my favorite. Either way I'd take both and have a back-up rifle in case one has an issue.
    Like everyone else has already said both will work just fine. I use 175's in my 7RM and my bro used 150's in his 30-06 with no complaints from the dead bull.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 263 Times in 59 Posts
    30-06.

If you need to buy more bullets they are slightly easier to find.

I guess that would be the only deciding factor if i HAD to choose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts
    My 2 cents ....first I am a huge fan of the 7mm (.284 dia. rounds). My thoughts have evolved or are evolving .....
    My dad is of the age who beleive that all things start and stop with the 06, usable hunting weights of 150-220 grains can be used on anything in NA...true enough. I happen to think a 160 gr 7mm will do what is needed and 175's can be used but are not ideal if big bears are involved.
    I got my dad a Ruger #1 in 7mm rem mag a few years ago for an antelope hunt. He used 160 gr partitions and did just fine, even used up his ammo on the prarie dogs after his goat was down. That was fun and what a mess! But I admit his 06 would have worked just as well with 165's because it did on previous goat hunts for him. Why change? I persuaded him while it worked it was not needed.

In elk camp this year conversation around the table was normal and we all dicussed what we were using. No real surprises, a 270 WSM with 140 AB, 7x57 with 140 AB, a 280 rem with 160 part, a 2980 AI with 160 part, a 257 wby with 120 part (deer hunter) and a 338 win I dont recall the load. When silence came to the conversation the guide at the table, a well educated fellow with 6+ hunts a year to his credit, tried to escape the conversation and tent until I pressured him for an opinion. Probably very unfair of me, but we were all long time sports in that camp. This young fellow (late 30s?) uses a pre 64 Win in 30-06 with iron sights (williams peep) and 180 gr partitions to back up his hunters. He knows is rifles and loads! This was a working rifle, not fancy - wood stocked and scarred up .... He says it can be needed and the 180gr partitions do the job. He proved that this year, as a sport needed help anchoring his first elk.

Later during idle times in the hunt we had the chance to talk about rifles, he uses a 300 win with 200 gr partitions when he hunts for himself. As a side note he also has is family members use the 06, for elk and other game, if I recall they were in the young teen years and he was proud as he should be that his daughter was a crack shot with it! I beleive that at that point the conversation was framed around chasing elk that were hit but not put down.

I think the discussion about caliber is incomplete without bullet identification & selection. The Partitions have a legacy reputation of performing well, very well. As the guides of this camp agreed that exit holes matter, two points to bleed from and the more bleeding the better. We also talked about bullets that come apart on bone and dont give an exit hole, this is a lot more prevalent than the marketing teams would have us know.

The 06 vs 270/7mm will rage on, like everyone has said take what you shoot best. Most guides will add that you should practice a lot with a chosen load. Stick to that load and bring plenty of ammo on your hunt. I have seen guys drop 7K on a hunt and only bring 6 rounds for "extra special" handloads as well as guys try to decide if they should use Remington, Winchester or Hornady ammo for todays hunt. The stories go on and on...

I think I would go with the 06 and 180 gr Partitions for under 350yds, all things being equal.

A free opinion and story ....we all know what thats worth !

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 280ackimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 62 Posts
    The two elk rounds that used to be talked about in every magazine back when it wasn't fashonable to have short magnums were the 300 Win mag and the 7mm Rem mag.

All things being equal between the 06 and the 7mm the 7mm will shoot a little bit flatter and a little bit faster. I have killed more elk with my 7mm Rem mag and 150 grain bullets than any other rifle that I own, but my .340 Weatherby mag shooting 225 grain slugs is catching up fast. I have also killed them with my 30-06 and 165 grain bullets.

I still say take which ever one you like and can shoot the best. But I do lean towards the 7mm Rem mag
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well Thank You everyone for your suggestions, I guess I will stick with my Remington 30-06 using 150 grain for Antelope, Deer, Elk as my primary and use my Remington 7 mag with 150 grain as a back up for Antelope, Deer and Elk. Unless anyone else has a different suggestion or some advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The rifle with the best scope. However, i'm a 7MM fan!
    Do you know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians? " Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not a “thimbleful” of realistic differences between the two. With good bullets, and equal bullet placement, an immeasurable difference. Take the rifle your most comfortable with.....have the other as a reliable back-up!

As I read through some of the posts, I saw that you are considering the 150 grain bullet in the ‘06. If this is a conventional cup and core bullet....I would strongly recommend against it. Yes....it will work, as thousands of elk have died with this combo. But, a 150 cup and core is like putting used tires on a Ferrari! With either caliber you choose, a good “bonded”bullet, or better yet a “mono”bullet, if you go as light as a 150 grain bullet, in the ‘06! Modern technological improvements in bullets have made all cartridges much better performers than they were just a decade or so ago. To use a Barnes “mono” bullet in 150 grain bullet, will give you a fast, flat trajectory, while retaining almost it’s original bullet weight.... and will likely fully penetrate an elk from almost any angle. Simply stated, we are in the “golden age” of bullets......we should take advantage of the technology! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 02-03-2019 at 08:59 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to memtb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Both will work. If one is inherently more accurate than the other I would pick that one. If they are both accurate, I would lean towards the rifle that fits you better. If this algorithm doesn't help take both. Never hurts to have a back up.

For the 30-06 I really like Trophy Bonded Tip (165 grains or 180 grains) & Federal Edge TLR (175 grains). For the 7 mm RM I like Trophy Bonded Tip (140 grain & 160 grain) & Federal Edge TLR (155 grain). I lean toward high weight retention bullets. Barnes VOR-TX bullets are also good.

For bullets with less weight retention can't go wrong with Nosler AB or Partition.

If any of these bullets are put in the boiler room you shouldn't have any problems.

Any gun I inherent, from my dad, will go hunting with me for no other reason than it was my dads. I will find a way to make it work somehow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    6 on one hand, a half dozen on the other. Pick the one you shoot better with. The boost you'll get from confidence that you'll place your shot accurately will far outweigh any gain or loss in bullet size between those two cartridges.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 7 Posts

I went with 30-06 for reasons mentioned above. Ammo availability and wider range of load weights for bears, I live in griz country. In my 8 years of shooting it, I have never almost run out of ammo and used gas station ammo and I haven’t had to shoot at a bear. Haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12