Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 28 Posts

Time to get back after it...

Been pretty active all my life, HS sports, active through college and 25+ year career working in higher education.

When I hit 50 last year noticed the metabolism slowed down, workouts slowed down, and calories increased : (

Was getting back after it last spring, then we purchase new house and exercising pretty much stopped. Focused all my attention on moving. Really feeling it now...pants aren't fitting right, and hopped on the scale today = 230 lbs.

I've put on about 10 pounds in the past year, up 25 overall from 10 years ago. Time to get back after it! The goal isn't necessarily a weight, but more of a feeling and clothes fitting better. And overall health.

20 minutes on the elliptical, then P90x chest and shoulders, with ab ripper at the end. More to come.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

3. The Following 5 Users Say Congratulations to Daubs For This Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts

Time to get back after it...

Way to get after it buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bonecollector; 12-28-2018 at 08:34 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hear ya life happens and one day it slows down a little bit and then you realize..... wow

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Good luck and stay focused!
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Same boat here.....just a few years younger than you. Key for me was to change the mindset of eating. I now eat to train and it has made THE difference in being able to maintain the gains all year around. Do not underestimate this. Working out is an essential piece to the puzzle but adjusting the fuel you put in the stove will be life changing. Feel free to throw any questions at me you want.

Good luck!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 232 Times in 40 Posts
    I'm about to turn 51 and understand completely. I've been as high as 235, back down to 175 a few years ago and now back to 205.
    But reading here and the other thread daily has really started to motivate me. Tired of hurting every time season rolls around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Same boat here.....just a few years younger than you. Key for me was to change the mindset of eating. I now eat to train and it has made THE difference in being able to maintain the gains all year around. Do not underestimate this. Working out is an essential piece to the puzzle but adjusting the fuel you put in the stove will be life changing. Feel free to throw any questions at me you want.

Good luck!!!
    Thanks Slugz: Wife had to cut out gluten four years ago, ulcerative colitis. I did as well just to give it a try. I feel much better, joints don't ache in the morning, better digestive regularity. I eat a few gluten free breads now and then, but aside from that we are both gluten free.

I eat pretty healthy, save for a few things -- love cheese and dairy, and get in to the Doritos / Fritos a bit too much, and peanut butter. Aside from that it's pretty healthy mix of proteins, vegetables and fruits. My other big challenge is stress eating, and simply eating too many calories.

What is your nutrition plan like?

Hunter: I was 215 in high school playing football/sports. Got down as low as 179 in college, worked at beef slaughter house in summers, long hours. Been in the 205 to 215 range for years (I'm almost 6' tall), and that seemed a good space for me. What is your workout / nutrition plan going forward?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Daubs,

I stick to a 1800 cal daily plan broken into 197g of carbs, 45g fat, 152 protein. That ratio is a mix for me that is part recommendation based upon age and activity level (5 days working out an hour) and part cross fit type caloric intake/eating plan.

I eat a breakfast at 0500-0600
    Snack at 0800
    Snack at 1030
    Lunch at noon
    Snack at 1500 to fuel for a 1700-1800 workout
    Pre workout drink (Yeti) 30 min before the workout
    1730 workout for an hour (BCAA while working out)
    Whey protein/milk post work out and hydrate
    Plenty of sleep in bed by 2100

Key for me was the eating and taking in things to make my goal numbers while not penalizing myself in others to maintain a constant energy level all day.

My reward/cheat day I try and bump up the cardio that day and burn an extra 400 calories.....but cheat caloric wise with good stuff such as sushi, Mongolian bbq etc etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 232 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Thanks Slugz: Wife had to cut out gluten four years ago, ulcerative colitis. I did as well just to give it a try. I feel much better, joints don't ache in the morning, better digestive regularity. I eat a few gluten free breads now and then, but aside from that we are both gluten free.

I eat pretty healthy, save for a few things -- love cheese and dairy, and get in to the Doritos / Fritos a bit too much, and peanut butter. Aside from that it's pretty healthy mix of proteins, vegetables and fruits. My other big challenge is stress eating, and simply eating too many calories.

What is your nutrition plan like?

Hunter: I was 215 in high school playing football/sports. Got down as low as 179 in college, worked at beef slaughter house in summers, long hours. Been in the 205 to 215 range for years (I'm almost 6' tall), and that seemed a good space for me. What is your workout / nutrition plan going forward?
    Just basic exercise at home to get started, no equipment. Back then I was hiking 7 miles 4 times a week. I live in the mountains and can go straight from home, more than half of which is uphill. I'll be starting that soon again.
    Better diet for sure. I've been in the fresh produce business my whole life but have mostly avoided eating any. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

P90X Plyometrics yesterday, and it kicked my tail. Only got through 75% of the DVD and I was done. The heart rate monitor said I burned 565 calories, that was enough for me.

Chest and back are sore from the workout on Friday...it's good to feel sore muscles again. Amazing how weak I have gotten in the past year. Looking forward to building muscle mass in the upper body and core. The legs are still strong.

Right at 2,000 calories yesterday. Good start.

Wife wants to do a "whole thirty" starting January 2nd -- it's pretty much how we eat anyway: no bread, no alcohol (that one's going to kill her), no processed sugars, mainly protein, vegies, very little dairy, etc.

18. The Following User Says Congratulations to Daubs For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast