Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 8 Posts

I recently bought a Garmin Montana. I really like the ease of use (it?s like a smart phone). Haven?t used it in the field yet but think it?s gonna come in real handy as a backup if something happens to my onx that I have for the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cking13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    You can actually uses your phone if the GPS would be a one time thing.

To use the phone you need to download everything before you leave your home and then turn on airplane mode on the phone to use it and save the battery.

Other than that on the GPS's you want one that you can install the OnX chip for Wyoming in, then go from there. The chip will add another $100+ to the cost of the GPS
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 4 Posts
    You don?t need cell service to use your phone as your primary GPS. As JimP said, get the OnX app for $30 (less when it?s on sale) and download the maps of your area via the app at home. I bought a GPS (64s maybe) a few years ago for a future WY lope hunt and used it this fall and paid $100 for the OnX chip to use with it. I ended up going solo so a family member gave me an inReach for some peace of mind for all of us. Along with my phone and the OnX app, that gave me three GPS options.

Based on my experience, I would use my smart phone with OnX, take a good portable charger, and a Garmin inReach. The inReach would be excessive for a lope hunt with buddies. However, the wife liked the inReach because she knew I was OK, my Dad who couldn?t go due to disability liked it because he could follow along on my hunt from WI, and I liked it because if it hit the fan I could get help. I used my phone almost the entire time to navigate due to better detail and resolution vs the 64s.

You can definitely do a lope hunt with just the OnX app for your phone and a portable charger (which u probably already have or could borrow). Save the money on the GPS for now and decide after your lope hunt if you want one for your deer hunt.
    Last edited by NEWHunter; 01-01-2019 at 05:58 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEWHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Just touching on what NE69 said:

Take notice to the advice of having a backup battery....the app burns it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Porta...1P77CFV7P0C29M

Personally I use one of the above. I have had one for years and it lasts me all day. I dont mess around on my phone much unless I know I am coming up on a property line though.

I charge it nightly from a charging pack or a wall plug is available.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 17 Posts
    I'm of the opposite mindset on the GPS-Phone/nav when it comes to hunting.

I do have a fancy GPS app on my phone that I love, but I have way too much other junk on my phone that makes me worry about using it alot afield and killing it.

It gives me greater peace of mind using a stand alone, ruggedized GPS unit; while leaving the phone less exposed to handling mishaps.

Its all good. Different persepctives. Both ways work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prerylyon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nothing wrong having both (one as a spare). I have 2 GPS units and this fall happened to have an extra phone (I did use both). Wouldn't make a hunting trip without a spare rifle either (I brought two spares and my grandson ended up using one).
    My big downfall is always bringing too many clothes..lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mnbogboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Something that’s been essential on my trips is a small battery charger to plug usb cords in to charge my electronics. Amazon sells them for around 20 bucks and they don’t take up much space in the pack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to raspy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not much of a electronics geek so I'm not real sure how global position systems (gps) work. However I know last summer I had to stop in worland wy and bye an atlas. I know I didn't turn my phone on airplane mode but other than that it was dead. It wouldn't even pull the map up let alone tell me where I was. I stopped at the napa store like a typical lost tourist( very friendly by the way) and they helped us. Anyway the amount of money that's going to be spent even though were both on a family mans budget it seems smart to invest in a handheld that we know will work. I really want to enjoy the scenery as much as the hunt and don't want to worry about making a landowner upset. It's a good suggestion to have both .
    Last edited by mosquito; 01-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    One big plus that a handheld GPS unit has over a smart phone is that if something did happen to the batteries you can pop in some spares and get it to fire back up.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    One big plus that a handheld GPS unit has over a smart phone is that if something did happen to the batteries you can pop in some spares and get it to fire back up.
    What he said! I also carry my phone and gps but as Prerylyon mentioned even in airplane mode, the cold has a tendency to kill phones, atleast all of mine. I have a Garmin Gpsmap64st and its wonderful. It has topos and the ability to download birseye imagery without a major cost ($20) which is priceless to me hunting new areas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast