Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY mule deer draw, preference point questions

I have been searching old threads but could not find an answer to my questions. Hoping that you can help. I am a non resident with 2 preference points for mule deer in Wyoming. Planning to acquire some more preference points but I would sure like to try to draw a random General Region tag to get out and hunt while gaining points. I do understand that preference points will reset to zero if I draw 1st choice in the preference point draw. Here is my first question: If I apply for a Random draw as a first choice, do preference points reset to zero with a successful draw? My second question is this: if you are successful in the Random drawing, as a first choice, can you buy a preference point in the same year that you draw?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There is no difference between the two draws, it's just that only a certain percent of the tags for a given area go to the random draw after the initial draw takes place. No matter what if you draw your first choice you will burn any points you have. You don't select which draw you apply for unless you're wanting to do the special draw vs the regular.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to theddguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You could put any area or region that usually takes several points as your first and then something else as second choice that may have a chance to draw that as a leftover, in which case you wouldn't use your points but also you'd still have a slim chance at drawing that random tag in the first choice for the area that took more points because after the initial draw all the other tags are given as randoms and are not drawn by the number of points a person has

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 813 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    Short answer - yes you lose PP if you draw any 1st choice. No you can't get a PP in the same year you draw a 1st choice but you can if you draw 2nd choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,189 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 273 Times in 88 Posts
    Right on Hilltop!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by theddguide View Post
    You could put any area or region that usually takes several points as your first and then something else as second choice that may have a chance to draw that as a leftover, in which case you wouldn't use your points but also you'd still have a slim chance at drawing that random tag in the first choice for the area that took more points because after the initial draw all the other tags are given as randoms and are not drawn by the number of points a person has

Thank you. This is helpful information!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    It does help. Just printed that out for my Wyoming file.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Short answer - yes you lose PP if you draw any 1st choice. No you can't get a PP in the same year you draw a 1st choice but you can if you draw 2nd choice.
    Well said! Sometimes the draw strategies seem nuanced, but this clear statement is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts

Another concept I'll add to this: depending on your long term goal of hunting certain areas that require more points to draw-high point counts, researching that 2nd choice unit (land access, deer population, hunter density) becomes more important really than the 1st choice, simply because that is what you'll likely draw-assuming you pick an area that historically still has a statistical chance of being drawn as a 2nd choice.

There is also the 'special' draw that costs more money, but will up your chances. I'm on a real tight budget, so I avoid it. I did it once, and I got the mule deer tag I wanted, but it was costly; also, it was a wilderness hunt with an outfitter that I booked in a very specific area. However, I have been wondering about a concept I call: "true cost of tag"?

Using some simple numbers for example, a guy has 10 yrs of $50 pref points-a $500 investment-and the tag itself is $400-and he draws it in 10 yrs-his cost for that tag is really $900.

At the same time, let's say he could have drawn it with 2 pts in the special draw and that tag costs $700. He invested $100 in pts and spends $700 on the tag. His cost for that deal is $800-cheaper than $900 and he got to hunt sooner.

I can't say that some good areas would work like my make believe example, but its something I've been thinking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prerylyon For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast