Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Unfortunately this is also the result of "online shoppers" and the Amazons of the world. Ive worked in the automotive accessories business for the past 13 years and it gets worse for us every year. The only thing that keeps us in business is the Labor/Service side. I get alot of people that will come in for our professional opinion and then go buy online because its cheaper. Im a consumer i understand it. But i tell them "One day when you need that advice we wont be here as a result of the online market. Im the type of person that likes to go in for the expert opinion and then give them my business. Sure sometimes you pay a little more but its keeping people employed and that matters too. Brick and Mortars are a thing of the past. Its sad when you live somewhere like DFW texas and can only find a few good sportsman shops. Sorry for my Rant!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to archeranthony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Sporstmans. ALL THE WAY.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtclod Az. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 4 Posts
    A close friend who was in their corporate offices used to buy stuff for me with his employee discount. Amazing how much stuff is marked up. They had goose silhouette's that retailed for $175, his cost $110. I bought 15 dozen before it was said and done. Most of my junk came through him. Due to the Bass Pro buyout, he recently walked with a fat golden parachute. Now Ebay, Amazon and Google are my sources for hunting gear...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    Amazing how much stuff is marked up. They had goose silhouette's that retailed for $175, his cost $110.
    Somebody has to pay for the beautiful building, the trophies on the wall and the personal service. So the prices have to be marked up and can't compete with online sellers.
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    A close friend who was in their corporate offices used to buy stuff for me with his employee discount. Amazing how much stuff is marked up. They had goose silhouette's that retailed for $175, his cost $110. I bought 15 dozen before it was said and done. Most of my junk came through him. Due to the Bass Pro buyout, he recently walked with a fat golden parachute. Now Ebay, Amazon and Google are my sources for hunting gear...
    Markups...

Good friend of our family farmed and used to sell produce on street corner here in town back in the 80's and 90's. All cash operation...he made great money.

One day another "seller" walked up and asked if he could sell along side the family friend. He was cool with it, because the guy was selling the old Blu-Blocker sunglasses, not produce. "Have a ball" he said.

They got to talking...

Blu-Blockers were selling on TV for $29.95, plus shipping. This guy was selling them for $5 each. They talked more and family friend asked where he was getting Blu-blockers (remember, this was pre-internet). Guy said he had a connection and was getting them factory direct from China...

And his price per pair...

Wait for it...

$0.27 each!

Markup...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,380 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 441 Times in 116 Posts
    Just got a new Fishing Catalog from Cabelas/BassPro. It has a large Bass Pro logo on the top half of the cover and a really small Cabelas lower on the cover. Won't be too long and the Cabelas name will disappear. Bet there is a plan on Johnnie's desk on how to rebadge all the Cabelas stores! LOL Remember when Cabelas used to send out a massive hard cover catalog early in the year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catalog.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	22858
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-28-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Just got a new Fishing Catalog from Cabelas/BassPro. It has a large Bass Pro logo on the top half of the cover and a really small Cabelas lower on the cover. Won't be too long and the Cabelas name will disappear. Bet there is a plan on Johnnie's desk on how to rebadge all the Cabelas stores! LOL Remember when Cabelas used to send out a massive hard cover catalog early in the year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catalog.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	22858
    Bummer. I hope they maintain the Cabela's brand and quality, but I think you are correct...it's just a matter of time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 905 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 48 Posts
    I don't buy from either so , if they fall, no great loss to me.

if there is a need ,something will fill the void.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 948 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    The Cabela's brand in merchandise is gone or soon will be. The last time that I was in one of their stores all the clothing was branded Redhead which is Bass Pro. They also have discontinued a lot of the better clothing that was branded Cabela's and went with the cheaper and not as good brand.

On the hard covered catalog I think that they were a unneeded marketing item. I still got all the other catalogs in the mail along with the hard covered one so it was just a unnecessary expense to print and send it out. The one nice thing about it was that a friend of mine has a son that loved them. He thought that he was important when he could put that hardcover catalog into his backpack and walk around.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 58 Posts

Much of the clothing at Bass Pro is of the made in china Redhead label and seems cheaply made. It's hard to find anything there that isn't redhead label. Last time I was in Basspro there was a rack of Cabelas chamois shirts that seemed much heavier than the Redhead chamois shirts.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gr8bawana For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast