Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 28 Posts

Cabela's...is this the beginning of the end?

I've been a Cabela's fan since I can remember. Growing up in Nebraska it was pretty easy to love the homegrown company that started in Chappel, NE, selling hand tied flies.

As a kid in the 70's-80's I loved getting the mail order catalogs, making wish-lists, checking out coats, boots, gear, etc. I remember filling out the old paper order form, putting a check in the mail, and waiting for the box to arrive.

In college I got a lottery pick room-mate who just happened to work for Cabela's(!). He had worked on phone taking orders for years and never hunted. Friend and I got him in to duck hunting, and he was hooked. We remained best friends, were in each others weddings, and have stayed close for the past 30+ years. (note, he's a WAAAAY better hunter and fisher now than I ever was...)

He stayed with the company, moved up, and was very successful. I got to meet and shake hands with Jim Cabela once, and got to know bunches of employees through the years. Such a great company with fantastic products.

I loved visiting the headquarters in Sidney, hitting the bargain cave, and the sidewalk sales. Wow, got some smoking deals through the years. I still have the Cabela's Gore-Tex, Thinsulate old school brown camo waterfowl parka I picked up in the bargain cave for $70. My brother still hunts with his Columbia Quad parka we found in the cave for $80. Both were returns, and we were broke college kids...and cherished these coats!

Things started to change when Cabela's went public. They brought in new blood and some of the old school "lifers" started leaving. They changed the product line up a bit, and it felt to me like the quality started to suffer. I love a good deal, but I will gladly pay premium price for a well design and constructed product that lasts. I still wear my Outfitter gore-tex, thinsulate leather hunting boots...they are probably 25 years old and still rock!

BassPro buying Cabela's changed things even more...My buddy left the company recently...he really loved Cabela's, but it was just time to move on.

I visit the store here in eastern Nebraska, but keep getting more and more frustrated. They shut down the bargain caves, are often out of stock, knowledgeable sales staff are few and far between, and the quality of Cabela's branded products continues to decline. And then I hear stories of Cabela's no longer honoring the lifetime warranty...makes me sad.

I still know a few who still work there, and sincerely wish them the best. I am never getting rid of my Cabela's stuff, especially the old school, rock-solid items that never seem to wear out.

I'll keep going to Cabela's and trying...but we have a Scheels that is closer to my house, and the staff are very knowledgeable. They get most of my business these days...

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for Cabela's...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daubs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    I agree with everything you posted. Over the years Cabela's was my go to place for lots of stuff, especially when I retired and moved to SW Colorado. I am pretty rural, closest big store is Sportsman's Warehouse , 80 miles away. There is a smaller Cabella's in Grand junction that is 175 miles afar. My gut tells me that in the next few years, Cabella's will disappear and be replaced by all BassPro stores. Another Herters....sad.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    The end of Cabela's was a few years ago for me.

The quality of their merchandise was going down with the prices going up and I found that I could get what I wanted elsewhere. Since Bass Pro took over they have fallen even further down on my list of where to purchase things. I'll go into a store and wander around without finding anything that I want and usually what I want isn't in stock.

Even back before Bass Pro purchased them I wondered about their marketing plans when they opened up two stores 30 miles apart in Denver, I still can't figure that one out.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Even back before Bass Pro purchased them I wondered about their marketing plans when they opened up two stores 30 miles apart in Denver, I still can't figure that one out.
    Agreed! I think they got in a pissing match with BassPro to see who could build the most retail stores...in an age where brick-and-mortar stores were closing...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 283 Times in 65 Posts
    I slowed down buying stuff from them when they stopped sending me the discount coupons in the mail.

The ones they send now are a joke and they always seem to arrive right after I need them and they are only good for 1-10 days...

Bargain cave is gone in the two stores I go to. I did buy a bunch of stuff when they were trying to clear it out only because they were all but giving it away.

On another note, I stopped using the cabelas card completely for out of store purchases because I get better deals through capitol 1. Now my capitol 1 doesn't offer cabelas gift cards as redemption so I rarely buy anything from them. I did get my binos from them this year only because I could buy the gift cards on ebay and save the 20% and because that brand never goes on sale anywhere.

Its sad because I have always hated BASSPRO.

I'll just shop more online now I guess. Or I'll shop at Academy (The k-mart of sporting goods)...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    On another note, I stopped using the cabelas card completely for out of store purchases because I get better deals through capitol 1. Now my capitol 1 doesn't offer cabelas gift cards as redemption so I rarely buy anything from them. I did get my binos from them this year only because I could buy the gift cards on ebay and save the 20% and because that brand never goes on sale anywhere.

Its sad because I have always hated BASSPRO.

I'll just shop more online now I guess. Or I'll shop at Academy (The k-mart of sporting goods)...
    Buddy used his Cabela's visa for business...and got a Benelli SBE2 with his rewards points. His boss found out, and stopped that the next year : (

I quit using my Cabela's visa and switched to Capital one as well.

I lived in Missouri for 15+ years...only thing BassPro is good for is bass fishing gear.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Also if you notice Cabela's is going the way of a retail clothing store and doing away with a lot of their hunting gear and areas in the stores that used to be hunting related.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    A few years ago I also stopped using my Cabella's card. I had enough points to cash in on a T/C Pro Hunter BP rifle. I don't use any credit cards, only a debit card. Don't miss them a bit! I do still have a Cabella's card and did use it recently. My son gave me a Cabella's gift card for my birthday. What I picked out was slightly higher than the gift card, so I used my card to put the balance on. Paid for it next statement...no interest. They had a nice hunting jacket on sale, so I ordered it.....out of stock so it was backordered. Oh well!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 283 Times in 65 Posts
    Pretty standard. Or they dont have my size.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 391 Times in 66 Posts

These box stores is the reason I switched my clothing to KUIU.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast