Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 7 rem mag

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 19 Posts

X3...my 300 WBY reloads just as easy as my 270. Once you shoot it once out of your rifle the belt is of no concern anyway as you should only neck-size from then on to prolong case life. IMO reloading is like building a house, start with a solid foundation, brass is very important.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Timr245 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 269 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    You guys might laugh at me, but I only shoot Remington corelokts! The bull moose was a one shot kill right off his feet. My guide even asked me what bullet was I using. My theory is if it ain't broke why change!
    No laughing from me. I've used Core-Lokt ammo for 99.999% of all my hunting since I bought my 7RM back in 1980 and have never had any ammo related failures. The majority of my kills have also been with one shot.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Those Core-Lokt shells from Remington have killed a lot of animals in their time.

But wouldn't life be boring if we only shot one kind of ammo out of one caliber of rifle?
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 224 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theddguide View Post
    Is there any difference in reloading for a belted mag? I know the headspace is measured differently but is the process the same otherwise?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    After the initial firing in your rifle, headspace off the shoulder and not the belt. I don't own a 7RM, but I do shoot four other belted rifles. On these rifles, I pump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" when sizing, that's it, and no more. If you don't have headspacing set in your reloading gear, it is time you purchase one. I pretty valuable piece of equipment in my opinion.

Also, one other piece of equipment regarding belted mags that has come in handy twice now is this gem of a tool. http://www.larrywillis.com/ Belted Magnum Collet Sizing Die If you use your brass enough, you might need it in the future. I had a 300 Win Mag that is now down the road, but it needed the brass ran through it after about 5-6 firings. I have used it once on some 375 H&H brass after the 3rd reloading.

Good luck!!!
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 131 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
    After the initial firing in your rifle, headspace off the shoulder and not the belt. I don't own a 7RM, but I do shoot four other belted rifles. On these rifles, I pump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002" when sizing, that's it, and no more. If you don't have headspacing set in your reloading gear, it is time you purchase one. I pretty valuable piece of equipment in my opinion.

Also, one other piece of equipment regarding belted mags that has come in handy twice now is this gem of a tool. http://www.larrywillis.com/ Belted Magnum Collet Sizing Die If you use your brass enough, you might need it in the future. I had a 300 Win Mag that is now down the road, but it needed the brass ran through it after about 5-6 firings. I have used it once on some 375 H&H brass after the 3rd reloading.

Good luck!!!
    Most people over look bumping the shoulder back I agree it is a valuable tool

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theddguide View Post
    I've been wanting to get one or a 270 wsm and finally decided (I think) I want the 7 mag. What has me second guessing this decision is I've been told by a couple different people "don't get a 7 mag, it's not much better than a 270 or 280" or "it's got a belt and it could separate" to " it's only popular because of marketing and its just not what it's cracked up to be".

I know, I know. Get what I want and be done with it; but I'm wondering why is there this negativity or dissatisfaction looming around the 7 mag? Why have some people told me to avoid it and just get a short mag?

Derek

There's nothing wrong with the 7mm Mag and it should serve you well on many hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 210 Times in 16 Posts
    I shoot the 7mmRM and the 160 gr. accubond and have had great results.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can't make up my mind just yet, I'm wanting either a 7 mag, 300 wsm, or swap my current 308 for a different one. For some reason I'm really wanting the 300 wsm but the rifle I'm looking to possibly get is only offered in 300 win mag and 7mag and I'm just not sure I want the full 300 lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    And before someone says it, I've ruled out the 30-06 already. I want something with more punch than that but not so much that I won't enjoy shooting it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,152 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts

Go with the .300 Win mag.

It is my personal opinion but I believe that the short mag craze will die out and if you don't reload you may have a hard time finding ammo.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast