Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts

https://gfp.sd.gov/deer/

Scroll down to "FAQ on Deer Draw Structure(December Proposal)."

Scroll down to chart after question 5.

Come back and share what you learn. I would tell you what's on the chart, but feel it's best if you see it for yourself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 254 Times in 58 Posts
    The thing that sticks out to me is that EVERYONE MUST CHOOSE IN DRAW 1 & 2 of the 4 seasons.

So you choose from BHD ERD WRD MZ.

BHD always draws out in the first round with none going to second round.
    WRD - Certain areas draw out in the first round with none going to second round..

The only way I see this helping a NON-Resident is if other NR's are trying to draw a WRD and an ER Deer in the same year on the first draw 1st choice. Now you A NR will have to choose which one you really want. All it does in essence is spread the amount of tags across the board. But the top tier units will only become harder to draw.

So if you are really trying to get BHD01 Tag you have to put that down as your 1st choice for round 1 draw and hope you have enough points to get lucky.

That would seem to me that most people would be putting down their first choice as the top units. Therefore only pushing those "Coveted" units into a much higher "point bracket".

For a Non-resident only looking to get 1 buck tag for the entire season (or until the 5th round when they can buy it over the counter). It appears that things got much worse.

I'm fine with only getting 1 buck tag. Its all I want anyhow. Basically non-residents are only going to get 1 buck tag/year from here on our unless there are any leftovers in the 5th round which they can buy over the counter (Unlikely in good areas) So I guess in essence it does help overall odds for NR who is looking to only draw 1 tag.

I guess the questions would be: Did non-residents (who where awarded a tag on the first draw) get entered into the other drawings against people who had not yet received a tag in the past?

If this is now not allowed then I can see how it may help to increase the chances of a NR getting a tag but I cant understand how it is going to help in a top "Point" unit that is desirable.

Maybe it will keep the people with lower points from entering the BHD drawing since they dont want to ruin their chances on getting a tag on the 2nd draw in another area?

Am I looking at this all wrong?
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 12-21-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't speak as to how this will effect non-residents as I have not studied it very well. I do know that the non-resident quota and opportunity is still in effect and the number of tags essentially unchanged. I can speak to how this works overall and why I think it's a good thing for those who desire a specific tag.

As it sits now many people with points jump into each of the four high value draws in the first draw. With this proposal people have to choose which one they want the most and only get to apply for that. The people who would have been in four first draws will now have to choose and only be in one. That decreases the number of people who are in each draw, thereby increasing the odds for those who are.

I'll use myself as an example. I am building points in those seasons. If I draw any of those tags it will be used to hunt mule deer. It's all I care about in regard to hunting deer and each of those tags gives me opportunity to do so.

This proposal decreases the number of individuals applying for WR rifle deer. For me that's a plus. For others who hope to luck out and land four great first draw tags it is a negative. I agree that the high value units will still require some points and luck to draw, but with fewer people involved the odds should improve. For me, who can interpret draw odds, I feel I will have a better chance of drawing some of those units that lack the reputation of others.

How does this effect NR? I would imagine in first draw high value tags it will improve your odds. At the same time, nobody really knows how this will work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I am sitting on enough points right now where I stand a chance of drawing a tag depending on how the people treat this new system. Its going to be really good or really bad for me I guess.
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 12-19-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing is for sure, SDGFP has managed to upset just about everyone. From the cubing of points which essentially shuts out all new people from drawing an elk tag, to changing the deer draw so the retired guys don't get a pile of high value tags, everyone is mad about something.

Except me. I'll hunt elk in Wyoming and Colorado, and the deer draw changes work in my favor.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing is for Certain.

It will help someone who is looking for "Lesser desired unit" tag they are seeking (that may have previously been something that most people chose in the second or third round). There is no doubt about that. This should almost ensure they draw it the first round.

I only see it adding to the amount of people who are going after highly desired tags though.

Good input. Appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 12 Posts
    I initially thought that NR wouldn't be able to apply at all until the 5th round. Sounds though like they basically just have to pick 1 tag to apply for. If that's what it is, I'm totally fine with that. And honestly, I don't need a black hills, west river, refuge tag, etc.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's what it is, NDHunter. There is still a non-resident first draw quota.
    Last edited by Horsenhike; 12-20-2018 at 02:25 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsenhike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    they did not listen to the people. It is to appease the whiners on both sides of the state and i dont believe will make them happy once they figure out that all the other whiners will then be applying for there little area. Me personally it will help draw my wr tag every year as i live in one of the not good areas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    just my two cents , no more no less, I figure any nonresident hunter who is unhappy with the regs my state puts out is most welcome to go elsewhere.

I suspect most in south Dakota feel the same way.
    I don't know about South Dakota's draw system nor do I care. But in my opinion the State of Wyoming gives out around 15% too many tags to non-residents. Thanks to the State's outfitters and ranchers having the ears of the Legislature. I hear that may be changing, I hope so.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast