Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish Louisiana game wardens did more to protect against poachers...a good buddy of mine told me a few years ago there was some bad flooding of the deer habitat and it forced them all onto some high ground in some flooded timber. Some local assholes slaughtered many of the trapped deer. No one ever went down for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Its Louisiana so I'm not surprised. I watched a guy in a bass boat poach an alligator once down there. He saw me watching him, threw the gator ~5'er in the boat and took off in his bass boat literally 100MPH down a pipeline ROW.

Out in "da swamp" there arnt many rules. All bets are off and people throw their bud light cans in da water.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 469 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 154 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    Where exactly is the 100K going?
    By law it goes to the state general fund. The confiscated ATV can go to Fish and Game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 940 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 233 Times in 56 Posts
    As for felony counts, until states start to recognize that poaching should be a felony instead of a misdemeanor they will be prosecuted as a misdemeanor. I personally believe that they prosecute it as a misdemeanor just for the reason that a felony count against someone can really put a hurt into their lives. Remember that with a felony conviction against you you are unable to poses firearms where with a misdemeanor you can.

In the long run I think that it is better this way since some poachers will learn the right way of doing things. However if the person is arrested for a second time or depending on the actual poaching incident they should go with the felony count which would almost place a lifetime hunting with a rifle ban on the poacher.

In the above case with three moose it should of been a felony conviction.

Then when it comes to someone doing something like was described above in Louisiana it is up to us as hunters to use our eyes and ears to see what is going on out in the woods. There are just so many Fish and Game officers out there and they can't be everywhere or on all the social media that we can. I once told a friend that if I heard of him bragging about party hunting or doing it I would gladly turn him in. I have also gone out during the winter up into areas to watch deer and elk and have written down license plate numbers as a just in case type of thing. The reason that I will write down the plate numbers is that one year as I was scouting for a hunt I heard some shots and then saw a truck with 3 people in it. They stopped me and asked a way into a area and then said that they had shot at a buck but were not sure if they had hit it. They also said that they were up there on a youth hunt. At that time I didn't know that there was no youth hunt for that unit. They were just simply up there hunting in a area that was closed to them.

Perhaps all my efforts will not amount to a hill of bean but it makes me feel better.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    A "gentleman" was recently sentenced for a 21 count complaint on the Kenai Peninsula. He wasted 3 moose plus other charges;

Fined $100,000
    Jailed 9 months
    forfeit rifle and ATV
    No hunting for 3 years.

I would have liked more than 3 years loss of hunting privileges, but hey, the rest of the sentence is a pretty good start!
    I'd bet that he never pays that $100,000.00 fine. Can't get blood from a turnip. He should lose his hunting & fishing privileges until that $100,000.00 fine is paid in full.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 901 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 116 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I'd bet that he never pays that $100,000.00 fine. Can't get blood from a turnip. He should lose his hunting & fishing privileges until that $100,000.00 fine is paid in full.
    losing priviledges means nothing . he has already proven laws mean nothing to him .people who do such things care about nothing but themselves .
    that's why I say death is most logical coarse , if one is really serious about curbing poaching
    Last edited by kidoggy; 12-13-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daubs View Post
    Nice work by AK game and fish.

Here in NE, ranch-hand shot five speed-goats out of season...game and parks was driving down highway and caught them red-handed. $5,000 fine, no loss of hunting privileges.

Ranchers here hate antelope...not sure if that played in to the sentence. Attorney may have done a good job...who knows.

I've got two buddies who live in AK. Said when the game and fish wardens approach people, they often do so with handguns drawn.
    Wow, that's pretty intense!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123