Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 106 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    I have a core 4 down jacket I bought before they went out of business. I've had it several years now and it is great, but I can tell that the down is starting to lose its loft and it doesn't quite have the fill power I like. I'll be interested to see where this thread heads as I may be in the market for a good insulation layer
    Get some "down wash" laundry soap, and follow the directions. It makes a big difference, as all clothing picks up body oils, grime, etc. over time. Also, just like a premium down sleeping bag, a puffy jacket or vest shouldn't be stuffed or compressed during storage.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 217 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I have the first lite puffy and love it. Packs into its own pocket pretty small. How small? I dunno? Smaller than my rain gear. I'd say a little smaller than a cantaloupe.

I was wondering how your moose hunt went. Judging by your avatar, it looks like it went awesome! Congrats!!!
    Thanks! The moose hunt went great, I got a nice bull mid-hunt and my buddy took a younger one late.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 8 Posts
    I got a L.L. Bean Ultralight 850 Down Hooded Jacket a couple of years ago when it was available in green. The fill is Down Tek. I like it a lot. It packs to the size of my nanopuff jacket but is much warmer. I don?t know if the extra warmth is due to the fill or the hood. It seems fairly wind resistant.

Since I worry about down, even treated down, on wet days, Santa Claus brought me a nanopuff hooded jacket this year. It seems thin compared to the L.L. Bean hooded jacket. I will see how it compares warmth-wise while predator hunting this winter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BAKPAKR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 282 Times in 93 Posts
    I'd really like to invest in a puffy, but they seem so thin and ripe for tearing/ripping. I tried a cabelas $75/special 2 years ago and was drastically disappointed. I did take it back. Tried it 2-3 times over a 2 weeks period and returned it while there was still something left of it and I was not beating much brush. It was simply junk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 217 Times in 40 Posts
    I want one warm enough I definitely wouldn't be beating brush in it. It would be only for stationary use. I already have the tougher Kifaru Lost Park and a Kuiu Kenai if I'm going to be moving in one at all. Best I've found for moving is putting the FL Uncompaghre vest or the Kuiu Kenai under a soft shell outer layer.

I put together this list after asking this question a few places on the ranking of ones that were popular, warmest to least warm. This isn't a complete list just what people were talking about on the warmer end of the puffy spectrum. These are all using the better down or synthetic insulation on the market from what I could find.

Chamberlin (11oz of down)
    Montbell Permafrost (9oz of down)
    Sitka WS down (around 9oz of down synthetic mix)
    Kuiu Superdown Pro (5oz of treated down)
    Kifaru LPP (3.6oz synthetic)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 249 Times in 25 Posts
    The warmth of the Chamberlain is pretty impressive. I wear it quite often this winter for going out when it has been sub-zero and don't even wear layers under and am plenty warm. I also really like the fit and feel of it overall. A friend of mine uses his as his go to duck hunting coat and rarely wears much more than a t-shirt under it. You definitely wouldn't want to be doing any serious moving around in it for how warm it is. Definitely one of my favorite FL pieces now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 4 Posts
    I agree. I too have the Chamberlain and have been wearing it all winter up here in Michigan. Light, warm, and I like the fit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 161 Times in 34 Posts

I?ve used all of these (minus the FL) and hands down the warmest is the Sitka but also hands down the least packable and its the heaviest, I had to part with it. With that said my primary use was hiking in a mile or 2 and then bundling up.
    Just depends on how packable you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12