Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I think your right in many of your statements.

I seem to remember P&W managing some units as trophy elk units and NOT having any OTC in those units. I also think the OTC should be managed unit by unit and only so many tags available as OTC, when the number is gone, that's it for the year. I also think this should apply to archery.

I would be ok with OTC units being limited. They go up for sale and when they are gone they are gone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    Also, agree on this also holding true for archery OTC units as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    I wish every state had a mandatory check in. Think you should have 7 days after the season to fill out a survey of your tag, every tag. Don't fill them out, don't get a tag next year, part of the conservation process.
    I agree completely. Great idea!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    I agree completely. Great idea!
    That's what we have in Alaska. If you don't turn in your hunt report, you are not eligible for the draw.

Randy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 153 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    I wish every state had a mandatory check in. Think you should have 7 days after the season to fill out a survey of your tag, every tag. Don't fill them out, don't get a tag next year, part of the conservation process.
    I agree but instead of 7 days, you have till a certain date. I only say this as here in NV you could be hunting 2 or 3 different species at the same time and they end differently. I have been deep with no service when a season has ended and been lucky enough to wait till I got home to fill out the mandatory harvest report. Only thing I do not like about NV is you can just pay a fine the following year to get your name back in the hat. I prefer mandatory year off to teach versus buy your way back in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 248 Times in 55 Posts
    And yet another way to get money out of hunters to line their pockets...lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts
    I've been pushing hard in Colo to go to all limited units for elk. When Colo switched over to all limited deer the muledeer quality plus quality experience dramatically improved. If you think about it, having all limited muledeer units spread out applicants over all units in Colo. There are really good muledeer units that can be drawn on a regular basis and it's possible to pick up left over deer tags every year.

The reason I bring this up is because converting over to all draw for elk would do the same as deer. Converting to all draw would help those that have few pts or are currently sitting in no-mans land. There currently are only a hand full of limited elk units vs OTC units in Colo. Since only a low percentage of elk applicants draw limited tags each year, the majority of tags are issued to OTC hunters. If Colo switched over to all draw elk hunters would be faced with burning rather than building pref pts if they draw their first choice tag.

Another huge advantage would be the CPW would FINALLY be able to manage the elk population and hunting pressure (the orange army in OTC units). This is currently impossible with the current OTC system. A lot of Colo hunters complain that elk get pushed onto private land and public land has a high concentration of hunting pressure. With all limited tags the CPW could finally increase or decrease tag quotas from 1 unit to the next.

There has been the possibility of going to cap tags in OTC units......OTC tags until a cap of tags is reached. This would likely do nothing for the point leaping that is taking place in the few limited elk units that exist. As mentioned in several posts above, more and more Colo residents seem to be complaining about how tough it is to draw the few limited tags that are available. There is always the chance that Colo could offer a higher % of tags to Colo residents which would only make it even tougher for nonres to draw tags.

I believe Colo is following suit to other states and will be dramatically increasing the price for nonres to apply and gain a pref pts. This may impact draw odds for limited tags. Some hunters may start applying rather than building pts in hopes of drawing tags rather than throwing expensive tag fees to the wind. My guess is that nonres pref pts will jump in response? Some hunters may drop out but I have a feeling a lot of guys that have invested years into the pref pt system will be prompted to draw tags.

I'm pretty sure things are going to change in Colo in the near future. I would advise all of you to contact the CPW and voice your opinion with well thought out comments. The CPW has 5 year structure plans where they offer public input. Believe, me nonres comments are just as important as res comments. If you are sick and tired of poor experiences hunting crowded conditions in OTC units and/or have been waiting years and years to draw a quality limited elk tag....let the CPW know!

Your guess is as good as mine whether changes will benefit nonres and/or res hunters. Usually it is the nonres that take it on the head. Voice your opinions!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 444 Times in 119 Posts
    I've attended meetings that are held for public input for years. Sorry....while the CPW staff are interested in your input, the ones that really count (the Commissioners) just seem to act bored and it looks like they really don't give a crap. Hearings are supposed to be for input from the public, just seems like their mind is made up before the hearing starts.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-23-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 973 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 259 Times in 60 Posts
    I haven't looked into Colorado's Parks and Wildlife commissioners but they are usually appointed by the Governor and may or may not have any idea of what hunting or fishing is like. I have also seen them ask the most stupid questions about hunting or fishing where you know that they have no idea. A lot of times they just go by what they want to do.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 3 Posts

I guess we can all just sit back and leave things as they are?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast