Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 9 Posts

Hard to have quality hunting in highly populated states. With millions of residents seeking opportunity as well as the wildlife departments funded by NR's something has to give. Then mix in transferable landowner tags. Means less opportunity for every one except those who can buy their way to the front of the line every season while others wait 10-20 years to draw a good tag.

There is a reason for the endless line of Colorado plates heading to Wyoming every weekend to hunt, fish, hike, camp, etc... and not the other way around.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighPlainsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsHunter View Post

There is a reason for the endless line of Colorado plates heading to Wyoming every weekend to hunt, fish, hike, camp, etc... and not the other way around.
    I think that most that are headed to Wyoming to hunt are going for the antelope, which Wyoming has more of than people.

You can say the same thing for Colorado with a license plate from every state in the nation headed here for the deer and elk hunts every year.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    I may be the only one here that thinks this but hey.....here it goes.

I think the DOW in CO does a pretty good job at managing the elk herd for trophy units and opportunity units all the while maintaining a 280000 + elk herd. I thought our target numbers were 230,000 to 250,000 but that may be wrong.

I think the GMU being either a OTC GMU or a draw/limited GMU could be an option......have to think that through though and it may hamper some management plans due to elk movement within the EAU.

Like Mallards said.....I'm limited elk archery hunting every year if not every other and then we do a 4th season cow or bull hunt off the leftover list dependent on if I draw my A archery tag or not. That's why I moved here.

If and when I do a OTC hunt its archery somewhere. You couldn't pay me to OTC rifle hunt 2nd or 3rd season....there are a ton of better options.

My only real wish or complaint is that we/Colorado went to a mandatory big game check to collect data that would be most likely 90% or better accurate. We now only get post hunt herd data from winter overflight/counting on wintering grounds and input from the emailed hunter surveys that go out.

Id like to see either
    1) A mandatory hands on big game check at stations like Nebraska runs or
    2) A mandatory reply/electronic for all tag holders from the previous year before they can put in for the current year in April

Either one I think would produce a ton more accurate herd data, success rates etc etc for analysis/management of the EAUs.

The rutting activity I've seen the past 7 years has not changed at all. Any change to vocalizations or activity was induced by weather or moon phase. I hunt in a OTC unit for 4th season and have yet to not knock a cow down that was pregnant and the calf was not the right size. The most cows have still been coming into heat Sept 21/22 and the ones that have not been bred have been getting bugling and attention during first rifle roughly Oct 15th.

Just my 2 sense.
    Last edited by Slugz; 12-03-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 276 Times in 20 Posts
    Slugz I'm with ya on the game checks, if I remember right when I hunted in KS, you could just send a picture of your harvest in and location. Way simple and don't have to pay for man hours at several locations. I think our elk numbers are closer to the 2000,000 mark if I remember right. I wish it were 800,000!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CODAK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 8 Posts
    All wonderful ideas but I think the state has three ideas...Revenue...Revenue...Revenue...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CODAK View Post
    Slugz I'm with ya on the game checks, if I remember right when I hunted in KS, you could just send a picture of your harvest in and location. Way simple and don't have to pay for man hours at several locations. I think our elk numbers are closer to the 2000,000 mark if I remember right. I wish it were 800,000!!
    Great idea....I think I heard of a buddy doing that in a state back east. Good catch on my mistype. Corrected now��

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 350 Times in 57 Posts
    I wish every state had a mandatory check in. Think you should have 7 days after the season to fill out a survey of your tag, every tag. Don't fill them out, don't get a tag next year, part of the conservation process.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,331 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    I wish every state had a mandatory check in. Think you should have 7 days after the season to fill out a survey of your tag, every tag. Don't fill them out, don't get a tag next year, part of the conservation process.
    New Mexico does this. Helps for a lot of reasons. Hopefully most folks are honest in doing so.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I would say that 75% of those responding to a survey are not truthful on the survey.

Now roadside checks or checking stations will get you a lot closer but those cost money.

Even in Utah on their OIL and LE hunts you have to submit a survey after your hunt and if you don't you will not be eligible for future draws but even then they don't think that most of the info they get is really accurate other than the tooth sample that needs to be sent in and the blood sample on the Henry Mountain bison hunts.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 9 Posts

Nebraska does hands on check stations only during the one week rifle season. Beyond that you telecheck during archery and muzzleloader season. It is mandatory for everyone so that likely helps than get good harvest data.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast