Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 104 Times in 38 Posts

Gators and hogs with a bow

I plan to kick off my 2019 bowhunting road trip season in Feb. with Gators and Hogs in Florida. Does anybody have any knowledge or insight into a Florida outfitter that specializes in bowhunting gators and hogs?
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    https://www.guided-hunting.com/home.html

Wife and I went there for my honey-moon.

At the time they had a hog/gator hunt combo that was pretty affordable. Search their site. They may still offer it. Nice people and they do a TON for disabled veterans.

We both got hogs and gators. To say it was easy with a rifle would be a bit of an understatement. But somehow the guide said we were the only people who could hit anything. Whatever that means. lol If I could do it over again I would have went with my bow for sure. We did some bowfishing while we were there on Lake Okeechobee as well. Never got a picture with my hog..but for the record I did kill one lol

Dropped my brand new glasses in the lake. I like to think a gator currently is either wearing them or they are in his stomach.

Little side note: Bring your thermacell and your bug spray and your bug new....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	22700

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	22701

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	22702
    Last edited by mallardsx2; 12-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mallardsx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 64 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mallardsx2 View Post
    https://www.guided-hunting.com/home.html

Wife and I went there for my honey-moon.

At the time they had a hog/gator hunt combo that was pretty affordable. Search their site. They may still offer it. Nice people and they do a TON for disabled veterans.

We both got hogs and gators. To say it was easy with a rifle would be a bit of an understatement. But somehow the guide said we were the only people who could hit anything. Whatever that means. lol If I could do it over again I would have went with my bow for sure. We did some bowfishing while we were there on Lake Okeechobee as well. Never got a picture with my hog..but for the record I did kill one lol

Dropped my brand new glasses in the lake. I like to think a gator currently is either wearing them or they are in his stomach.

Little side note: Bring your thermacell and your bug spray and your bug new....

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	22700

Name:	IMG_3188.jpg 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	22701

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	22702
    Are those tilapia?
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Ya they are.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,362 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 845 Times in 143 Posts
    Very affordable. Looks like they know what their doing
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After looking at many gator outfitters I went with Ross Hammock Ranch for my "high Fence" gator hunt with a bow. I say "High fence" because to some, any time you hire and outfitter in a diff state for game animals you dont have access to in your home state, some want to pretend you are hunting in a "pen".
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 20 Posts
    Right, because everybody knows that those red stag are free ranging all over Iowa and water buffalo have taken over Texas

Seriously though, go get them gators.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Putting up a fence does not domesticate an animal. Fence off 32 square miles (the size of the ranch I hunted in Texas) and then hunt the deer inside those 32 square miles and tell me how the fence domesticates or tames them and makes them easy to kill. If anything, they are more wild and elusive since they are hunted more and harder than free range animals. After having done it myself, I can attest to that.

FYI, 32 sq. miles or area is about 21,000 acres (512 40's). The largest lease I have to roam for bowhunting is 160 acres.
    staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive wanted to take an alligator with a bow so In feb. 2019, I will drive to the Sunshine state to hunt gators and hogs with a bow. Im including hogs because Ive taken hogs in 3 states already and they are a fun bow hunt and good to eat. The only issue with bowhunting these two species is that I will need 2 different bows because the bow I use to do all my bowhunting is not set up for bowfishing or for gator hunting.

I will use an old compound bow for the gator bow and set it up with all the gear I need. The first step putting arrow rest on the bow that will support the 1000+ grain solid fiberglass arrow. I have an old NAP Quicktune 360 rest that I can use but the arrow support (launcher) is a bit too narrow and I can envision the arrow falling off the support during the rigors hunting of so I will need to modify it to fit my needs.

The factory launcher needs to be narrow to clear fletching for typical bowhunting and using arrows with fletching but because my gator hunting arrows wont have any fletching, I can tolerate (and want) a wider launcher with more support to make sure the arrow does not fall off the rest.

The standard launcher shown below.

staysharpguide.com

Thanks
    Congratulations

I designed a new launcher and fired up my 3D printer and made a wider launcher. Here you can see the original and the replacement I made.

The newly installed launcher.

Next up is mounting the bowfishing reel with the line that will connect the arrow (and hopefully the alligator) to the bow.
    staysharpguide.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast