Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts

what is butter bore and when do you use it?

thanks
    tim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Some guys use it to lube the bore to help "Season" The bore and make it easier for cleaning.

I do not use it. I have ready too much negative stuff about it building up causing the loading to actually get harder over time.

With modern day sabots it is not necessary in my opinion. (Not sure if your allowed to use those in Idaho)

I would just use copper thor bullets if I had to shoot a full bore bullet.

CC is probably more versed to answer this question than me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts
    I use bore butter as an end year seasoning/lubricator. Come fall I?ve swabbed it all out. I just like to leave my barrel coated if I?m not going to shoot. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn?t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 328 Times in 54 Posts
    My smoke pole is almost 20 years old, only thing I've ever used on it is hot water and dawn dish soap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    pulled up on a calf elk this morning. Just did not like the shot. would have been an easy shot with a scoped rifle, not so much with an open sight muzzleloader.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 434 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    what is butter bore and when do you use it?

thanks
    tim
    It is a bore lubricant, I don't use it. I shoot lots of cartridge BP in rifle, pistol & shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting competition & practice. What I use to clean is Ballistol, diluted with water 50/50. It is a water soluble oil. I wipe the guns down and run a dry patch thru the bore when I am finished. I use the same stuff for my M/L. A lot of the guys I shoot with use Windex with vineager ....don't use the stuff with ammonia.

I do not coat the bore with anything when the guns are in storage.

There are lots on nuances guys use, especially the long range 1000 yarders. When you use real BP, it burns at a really hot temp and will melt lead that will coat the rifling in the barrel. Most use a special lube on the lead bullets and some use bore butter. Some also use a cookie, which is usually a patch coated with lube right behind the lead bullet. They separate the cookie from the powder with a card wad.
    If you are using a BP substitute or a sabot, you probably will never have to worry about a lead buildup.

Probably more then you ever wanted to know about shooting BP. LOL
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-03-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

tim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have some rust in the barrel. Does that mean I did not clean the gun good enough last time? guns is 3 weeks old.

thanks
    tim

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    Since its pretty much bare steel after the first shot it will rust if it isn't treated with something. Even if you did clean it.

Ever since I got my CVA MR Nitride I dont get too worked up about anything when it comes to cleaning. They center-punched it with that finish let me tell you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 434 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I have some rust in the barrel. Does that mean I did not clean the gun good enough last time? guns is 3 weeks old.

thanks
    tim
    That's why I use Ballistol to clean with. It will leave a oil film in the barrel.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 10 Posts

Hi Tim, it is very late in the game to "Learn" everything there is to know about black powder. Not sure in Idaho if Blackhorn 209 is legal, if it is figure out a way to use it. It wont ignite reliably with #11 caps but will with musket caps if there is a way to use them Legally in your gun, might require a new breech plug or if your nipple interchanges. Plan on years of Learning!! It does take several seasons to get good with a muzzleloader. Each and every shot is a handload and consistency is key, to finding what works in your set up. I don't see well enough with the open sights to realize the full potential of my TC Encore. A Good set of Fiber Optic Sights helps. Good luck and God Bless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12