Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot info

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts

Boot info

Looking for some advice/info etc. I?m in the market for a new pair of boots. I don?t really need a ?mountain boot? but I do want something durable, comfortable, supportive and waterproof. The problem is I wear a size 15 boot. I have worn UA, Danners, Wolverine and Rockies. Within a year of light use every single one of them leak. I was hoping that moving up to the higher end market might resolve that issue. As I said earlier, I wear a 15 so there aren?t lot of options available. That being said, my choices are the Kenetrek mountain extreme, Crispi west river GTX and the Lowa Renegade GTX.

Thoughts? I know the reputation behind the kenetrek but I?m unfamiliar with the other two brands. Unfortunately there isn?t a retailer of any of these around here for me to try them on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 325 Times in 54 Posts
    Bought Crispi's for this year.... I'll never buy a cheap boot again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 780 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 107 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildstreak View Post
    Looking for some advice/info etc. I?m in the market for a new pair of boots. I don?t really need a ?mountain boot? but I do want something durable, comfortable, supportive and waterproof. The problem is I wear a size 15 boot. I have worn UA, Danners, Wolverine and Rockies. Within a year of light use every single one of them leak. I was hoping that moving up to the higher end market might resolve that issue. As I said earlier, I wear a 15 so there aren?t lot of options available. That being said, my choices are the Kenetrek mountain extreme, Crispi west river GTX and the Lowa Renegade GTX.

Thoughts? I know the reputation behind the kenetrek but I?m unfamiliar with the other two brands. Unfortunately there isn?t a retailer of any of these around here for me to try them on.
    I would not buy a boot without first trying them on .fit is everything. drive where you must .

kenetrek makes a fine boot at twice the price of danner. I personally did not find them to be worth the cost difference, as I still wore them out in 1 year but to each their own. I had to throw money away to learn. so must we all.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 837 Times in 141 Posts
    Try the, all on and buy what fits you best.

Also all boots need maintenance. You will need to wax even high end boots to keep them water proof.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 125 Times in 28 Posts
    Hanwag makes a 15. I've been wearing the Alaska GTX's for several years now. I love them. Never had wet or cold feet. They're easy to put on (an important consideration when trying to get dressed in a tiny tent), and they stay comfortable all day. I swapped out the insole for some Superfeet Greens, and keep the leather well conditioned with Obenauf Heavy Duty LP.

There are several sites that you can order from, to try on, and have free returns if they dont fit, since it can be really difficult to find stores that have multiple brands.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 140 Times in 16 Posts
    I have Kenetrek that are the worst boots I've ever bought. They got my feet wet since a few months in (and I used their boot wax religiously). I'll never buy them again.

Hanwag and Lowa are sister companies (the WA in Lowa and WAG are both part of Wagner) that make exceptional boots. Zamberlan and Crispi are the other that I'd consider.

I currently have the Cripsi Wyoming and Lowa Tibet Superwarm (insulated version) and they're both exceptional. I had the Zamberlan 960s and they were great too. Try them on or at least be able to return what you don't like as boot fit can't be checked online.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,318 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 203 Times in 90 Posts
    Any of the top end brands you are mentioning will be a step up. Get the single piece leather boot that fits you the best and make sure you religiously use wax to keep the leather in good condition as well as shedding water. If you do that then you will likely be happy for a very long time.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildstreak View Post

Boots are a personal choice when you buy. All the top names are good. Fitting your foot is what decides the purchase.

I have the Lowa Tabits and two pair of renegade gtx boots. Both are great and fit my feet well with upgrading the insoles on all of them.

The renegades are a great hiking both and feel like tennis shoes to me. They are not a full leather lower; what I mean by that their are spots where the pieces of the boot are stitched together. What happens here is if you at hitting the side of the boot with anything abrasive the stitching come off. Boot is flexible and easy to break in.

The Tibet?s are a beast and tough. The whole boot is stiffer and give great ankle support. But they took me longer to break them in. The boot is solid leather and a rubber rand that protects against abrasions. These are awesome boots too.

As far as retailers you can look at shoe.com and have them shipped. I believe they sit offer shipping both way. I ordered two pairs and sent the pair that didn?t fit back with no issue.

The other place to look since you have a size 15 is Shnees and Lathrop and son. Both will help fit boot. I have not used them yet. But have heard great things.

All comes down to your fit and your hunting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 381 Times in 64 Posts
    I've had my Kenetrek mountain extremes for four years! Not a single issue! Like others have said fit is king. What most haven't said is a sock combination is even more important. I wear a silk sock liner and a REI Expedition sock! I wax my boots before and after every hunt. I've Never had wet feet! Good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 19 Posts

Zamberlan Tofane. Keep them waxed and understand a good boot requires a break-in and you will never look back. Don't be afraid to order them on-line. If your boot requires no break-in, well...you bought a pair of sneakers.

Italian boots are the absolute best for what you are doing. If I wanted a logging boot I would say Whites and Wesco are best. Danner is based 15 minutes from my house and I would not wear a pair if they were given to me - they are just imported trash. What does Zamberlan Tofane, Wesco and Whites have in common? All of their soles are stitched and can be re-soled if there is a cobbler near you. Very few people realize boots were re-soled for many decades before molding and outsourcing became the standard for boot making in America.

Good luck buddy, some good advice in this thread.
    Last edited by conibear; 11-08-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast