Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 12 Posts

Ok guys-I made it out to the range today before leaving for WY-you knew I had to, right?

I am observing a speed plateau with this bullet, this powder loading, in my gun.

So, within the parameters already shared, I ran a chrono test earlier today; 3 rounds each using AA4350 and the 145 gr Speer BTSP:

53.4 gr: 2,687 2,693 2,690
    Avg= 2,690 Std Dev= 2.45

53.7 gr: 2,649 2,681 2,710
    Avg= 2,680 Std Dev= 24.91

Its a small sample size, but FWIW, the stats support the idea of a velocity plateau. The hotter charge averaged lower speed and has more spread.

I checked the chrono with my older lower performance load-3 shots before the aforementioned test-and it checked out ok.
    I am left with this:

1. A velocity limit has been reached

2. My scale is messed up? (not exactly supported by the consistent performance of the 53.4 gr load)

3. Bad powder

4. I may had some chrono problems and copper fouling issues when 2,805 fps was measured a few weeks back at the 53.4 gr charge

I've run out of time for tweaking this anymore before hitting the plains. I will use 53.4 gr and adjust my holdovers accordingly. I have target data at 100, 200 yards that is rock solid with 53.4 gr. I am dissapointed I am not getting the speed I want, but can take solace in the high accuracy of the load.

Certainly keep the thread going if there's interest.

This isn't the end of the story - something to mess with when I get back. Now, off to finish packing!

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prerylyon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,343 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 434 Times in 113 Posts
    Which one had the best group?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 339 Times in 57 Posts
    I am not an engineer. I employee people, I am stupid. With that said, has anyone tried calling the manufacturer of the powder and asking them?

I know, to simple not as much fun as asking on here, but maybe.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    'CC,

Both 53.4 and 53.7 grouped identically for all intents and purposes. I heard these bullets were forgiving in that respect and I think I am seeing that.

'Tim,

Good idea. May do that next week.

Regards,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 237 Times in 78 Posts
    I wanted to revive this thread to provide the terminal results of my ammunition development.
    Barnes 145gr LRX with a velocity of 3,200 f/s from my Browning LRH 26" barrel using RL26.

The bullets opened upon penetration producing a hole the size of bullet & front petals or 1.5x the size of the bullet. It passed-through 1 elk, 2 mule deer, & 1 antelope respectively. The exit wounds were about the size of a golf ball and the animal's internals were destroyed.

MY OPINION BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE:
    I've used a variety of bullets, but none performed as well as the LRX. I've used Remington Core-lokt (average bullet), Hornady SST (very accurate but explosive- messy), and Hornady Interlock (good bullet) in the past. All killed game, but I like the performance best from the LRX due to accuracy and the best performance on game.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

'BC,

4 animals shot provides a nice test sample to evaluate the bullet's terminal performance. Sounds like a winner to me!

My load worked great; although it was slower than I hoped; if everyone remembers where I had to leave things with the load work-up and testing, with my hunt date bearing down fast on me. Accuracy was excellent; on my antelope, it was a one shot deal, double lung, 263 yrds, DRT. Antelope are known to be pretty soft targets, but the old school 145 gr 7mm Speer BTSP killed quickly; with little to no loss of meat. I was unable to recover the bullet, but it must have expanded rapidly as the heart and lungs were destroyed. I had a little bloodshot meat in 1 front quarter from bone fragments, but no evidence of lead or copper. Super impressed with the accuracy. Holdover was dead on. I need to kill a few more critters before I can fully sing that bullet's praises, but I have no complaints so far and suspect it would be fine for antelope and deer.

Regards,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123