Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts

Bino pouch - your thoughts ?

All,
    While in camp this year I noticed that the guides all had bino pouches. By the end of the hunt i understood why ... dust and ease of access, one hand access.

What model do you use and why ...if you use them ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 421 Times in 110 Posts
    I have a Marsupial that I like, Works well and I would recommend it. The only thing I've found is that the chest straps have limited adjustment. I have a 54" chest and they are a little snug.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 836 Times in 141 Posts
    I use the Vortex Guide harness. It’s big but I can carry pretty much everything I need to be available quickly.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 189 Times in 87 Posts
    I have used a bunch of them, Sitka, Eberlestock, Outdoor Vision, Mystery Ranch. Each of them has good features and some I would change, most based on preference. Try them on if you can!
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm looking at the one at Blacks Creek. It has a holster for my pistol. I have one of their packs and am pretty impressed with it....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Wish I had one,I'm tired of my binos flopping around my neck.Thanks for the Idea,Christmas is right around the corner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 795 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 224 Times in 52 Posts
    I have the Badlands magnet bino pouch that I got off of CamoFire.

It is a real nice pouch for $70
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is definitely a SUPER opinionated area. I have the Vortex Harness Strap that I use in combination with a Horn Hunter Bino Hide, a cover rather than a pouch. I also have Alps RMEF Ridge Stalker X, which is a proper pouch. Finally I have the Vortex bino tripod adapter, which doesn't sound like this category but I keep on a quick-change adapter on a Primos tripod that also has a gun rest. I will often just leave it on there while hiking, especially in thick timber when I want to spot-and-stalk, moving slowly, never actually putting the binos away, and be ready for a quick change to a gun rest.

My favorite HARNESS is the primos one because it has an elastic strap that takes any stress/binocular swing out of each step while you hike despite being very loose on you. You also don't add any "pouch" weight (the bino hide weighs almost nothing). The way it's rigged, the binos attach right to the strap rather than to hanger straps, so it's really smooth to use. The clip attachment points slide up and down the harness so they feel like they stay one unit as you use them. If I'm glassing a lot during hikes, this is my favorite combination.

Next up is my Alps pouch which I use when doing general hunting, especially for grouse or deer and ESPECIALLY while "scouting" pre-season. My pattern there is about being slow and quiet than about covering ground, stopping every time there's a change in the view. "Let your eyes do the walking" style. I like that the alps unit is cheap, but also has some details that set apart more expensive pouches, like having a quiet closure, and having separate straps just for the binoculars with a quick detach. I can take them off and hand them to my kids on family hikes, or if I see something to react to, just drop them and grab my rifle (and they won't fall).

But both of these are clumsy in thick timber especially if I'm doing spot-and-stalk in there. In there, you're glassing more or less constantly, using the binos to do what your eyes can't do and "see past" the near stuff. With a pouch you're taking it in and out constantly, and with just the harness it seems to get in the way of a slung rifle a little more. So keeping it constantly mounted on my tripod (which doubles as my walking stick in there) I always have it at-hand and in use.

Look how much I just vented. If there's a point to all this it's that you have to choose what fits your style of hunting and personal preferences. There are several dozen products out there. Try 'em out and see what fits you!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 106 Times in 19 Posts
    I just started using alaska guide creations.
    Love it. Pocket for rangefinder and GPS on the sides. I gave my badlands to my son. I used it for years and liked it but didn't have the extra pockets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 157 Times in 27 Posts

I've had a Kuiu bino harness since they came out. My entire hunting camp now has one, too.
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast