Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Application states/species

Since I wanted to ask about several states and species I thought this would be the best place to ask.

So I have gotten preference points in Colorado for both Mule Deer and Elk, and an Arizona Elk point. But I am no longer a broke college kid and am wanting to apply across more states, but I probably won't be able to do more than one of these hunts per year so no need in applying for both Muley and Elk in every single state since I could probably end up wasting money applying for a tag I may never use. So my question is for the following states, what should I focus on, and should I drop or swap a state? The idea is, I could (possibly) hunt every year for a trophy class animal and even if I don't draw I can always call up my guide buddy in AZ and get on some Muleys or Coues. Also I think Idaho could be a fun state to hunt whitetails OTC and still get in some scouting for Elk/Muleys.

Utah
    Arizona
    Colorado
    New Mexico
    Nevada
    Idaho

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 131 Times in 23 Posts
    No Wyoming, mistake in my mind. Get some antelope PP for Wyoming at least.
    Sorry , just biased for Wyoming.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wy-tex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 27 Posts
    I do points in colorado which is home, utah and wyoming. Plus bear points in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Those are really cheap. All the money I'm willing to spend.
    I didn't think new Mexico does points?
    None would ever be wasted though as the best tags take a lifetime. You'll use them eventually.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 20 Posts
    I've personally picked and chosen which states I think give me the most bang for my buck. Sure, I could probably buy points for a decade and eventually have a good hunt in "State A", but if I could have an equally enjoyable hunt in "State B" every 1-3 years, "State A" isn't worth the investment IMO.

I also have a long list of OTC hunts I'd like to try, so I don't have any big fears about not drawing tags.

MY personal selections, for MY hunting goals, are the primary species (elk, deer, pronghorn) in CO, MT, WY, and SD (minus elk). I can hunt OTC or zero-point draw tags for blacktails, coues, bears, etc. in various other states.

Other folks' strategies may look very different, depending on their own budgets and hunting goals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LCH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 871 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 232 Times in 55 Posts
    Unless you have a lot of time to wait for a better hunt, mind you I did not say great hunt scratch Utah off of the list. Granted you can use the required hunting license to put in for 2 years and you can put in for all the animals in the draw your chances of drawing a tag are next to nothing.

For Colorado you will be waiting a very long time up to and over 20-25 years for a "trophy" deer or elk unit.

Nevada can get expensive just getting points. So can Arizona with their required $160 hunting license. New Mexico is a straight draw, no points just luck.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 19 Posts
    I would absolutely buy points in Wyoming. You can still get them this year if you purchase them before the end of Oct. Antelope -$32,
    deer - $42, elk - $52. You can get a very good deer tag with 3 pts., as well as a GENERAL elk tag, and there are lots of antelope options with 0-7 pts. I've taken 3 6X6 elk, all with less than 3 pts., and 3 4X4 deer with less than 3 pts. The points needed to draw may be a moving target, but I've found that it has been a slower creep than the areas where I have applied in Colorado.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    I would not buy sheep points in WYoming.

You'll perfect your points plan over the years...

good luck!

I remember my 1st western points I applied for.... Nevada Elk and Montana Sheep! dream hunts eventually...that'll happen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HuskyMusky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 177 Times in 14 Posts
    I'd also drop Utah except for maybe deer. Elk will be a long wait. Definitely WY points. Also your probably aware NM is luck of the draw no points.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 266 Times in 58 Posts
    While Nevada is has great trophy deer and elk hunting, non-resident drawing odds are dismal. Unless you get extremely lucky you're looking at probably 10-15 + years to draw a tag.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I will definitely consider that, I am applying for the strip so I think 15 year wait for one unit is long enough. I think Nevada may get dropped and add wyoming. I have friends in Wyoming anyways who may not be too good of friends because they never mentioned to me anything about applying there but they sure do like to come hunt with me around new year in Louisiana.
    Last edited by JT1992; 10-12-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast