Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Unless you have a lot of time to wait for a better hunt, mind you I did not say great hunt scratch Utah off of the list. Granted you can use the required hunting license to put in for 2 years and you can put in for all the animals in the draw your chances of drawing a tag are next to nothing.

For Colorado you will be waiting a very long time up to and over 20-25 years for a "trophy" deer or elk unit.

Nevada can get expensive just getting points. So can Arizona with their required $160 hunting license. New Mexico is a straight draw, no points just luck"

So..... Don't apply for anything and save your money?

JK.

I'm obviously no expert on this stuff. I'm glad I came here to ask. Colorado is definitely a weird one since there is a lot more private land than the other states. Being that my Father in-law is partners in an African Safari and also part of an awesome Kansas whitetail lease and he knows a lot of people (guides) in the industry. He has a good friend that is going to africa with him and he just so happens to have an awesome private land area in Colorado for deer and some elk so I would be taking advantage of that.
    Last edited by JT1992; 10-12-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JT1992 View Post
    "Unless you have a lot of time to wait for a better hunt, mind you I did not say great hunt scratch Utah off of the list. Granted you can use the required hunting license to put in for 2 years and you can put in for all the animals in the draw your chances of drawing a tag are next to nothing.

For Colorado you will be waiting a very long time up to and over 20-25 years for a "trophy" deer or elk unit.

Nevada can get expensive just getting points. So can Arizona with their required $160 hunting license. New Mexico is a straight draw, no points just luck"

So..... Don't apply for anything and save your money?

JK.

I'm obviously no expert on this stuff. I'm glad I came here to ask. Colorado is definitely a weird one since there is a lot more private land than the other states. Being that my Father in-law is partners in an African Safari and also part of an awesome Kansas whitetail lease and he knows a lot of people (guides) in the industry. He has a good friend that is going to africa with him and he just so happens to have an awesome private land area in Colorado for deer and some elk so I would be taking advantage of that.
    I think you probably just need to jump deep into research for each state, then make your determination on what's worth it or not. Colorado is a no-brainer for me for deer and elk, but forget about drawing any of the "glory" tags unless you want to play the game for the next 50 years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 131 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JT1992 View Post
    Ok, I will definitely consider that, I am applying for the strip so I think 15 year wait for one unit is long enough. I think Nevada may get dropped and add wyoming. I have friends in Wyoming anyways who may not be too good of friends because they never mentioned to me anything about applying there but they sure do like to come hunt with me around new year in Louisiana.

Do the research as has been said, however in your first post you wanted to hunt trophy class animals almost every year so that means banking points to use in different states in the future. Where you hunt state A with 2 to 3 points, state B with 4 or 5 points, State C with 5 plus points. That being said also look at what type of point system is used preference vs bonus. Nevada and its bonus system gives you a small chance of drawing every year and it increases as you gain more points. Where a true preference point system of the majority of the tags going to only the highest point holders might not ever let you in the game. Also look at other animals that you might want to hunt at some point like sheep or moose and if starting to get those points now will put you on a path to draw a tag in the distant future.

Good luck as this can be as addictive as the actual hunt.

NV-hunter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 793 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 224 Times in 52 Posts

Actually hunting trophy class deer or animals is more of a state of mind rather than points.

Here in Colorado there are units that you can draw every year and find trophy class animals, you don't need points to hunt them. You just have to be willing to go where they are located at that that means work, both getting into the area and getting the animal out. Also you need to learn the unit. I live in unit 44 here in Colorado which is considered a very good trophy deer unit but if you don't know the unit and are unwilling to hire a guide or pay through the nose for a trespass hunt your odds of shooting a trophy deer go down along ways. Same with elk, I saw 2 350 class bulls come off of this unit which is a OTC unit for elk, but those hunters knew where to go and they hunted hard to get them.

It is the same in any state and units where you can draw a tag every year even being a non resident. But those trophy animals don't come easy.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12