Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 216 Times in 39 Posts

My buddy and I ended up getting a 8 man Seek Outside tipi kit for our use. It's not a canvas wall tent, but it's a pretty versatile shelter that is easily set up by one person. I have set it up by myself on several occasions to seam-seal it and again in Wyoming while my buddy was cutting wood. We have the tipi, a half floor, 2 liner halves, and an XL stove. We ordered it with the mosquito netting on the doors also. I have several products by both Seek Outside and Kifaru. They both make top quality stuff and I think both brands are top notch. We went with the Seek primarily due to the sod skirt that goes outside the stake loops and helps keep both bugs and drafts out.

We used it in an Alaskan swamp this September hunting moose and used it last August and October in the Medicine Bow mountains of Wyoming on a scouting and later a hunting trip. We took everything but the half floor to Alaska and I think it cost us 17lbs off our weight allowance not counting stakes. We had it out when we got 15" of snow the first night last October (we did scoop/sweep the snow load off several times during the night), and in a swamp in AK where we got 5 days of solid rain and some heavy wind. It has been great so far. It handles the weather, is easily transported by SXS, boat, float plane, and isn't to heavy to backpack split between 2-3 guys in a pinch.

The stove works well but isn't going to burn all night. It's at it's best with small hot burning fires but will hold some coals for a while with 4" rounds. I always have to pee a couple times during the night anyway and can keep it going enough to have enough coals in the morning to make starting a fire quick, even if it isn't heating the tent all night. Between our clothes, bags, and pads we don't need it to run all night. We also run lightweight (Thermarest) cots to get us off the ground.

It's not as sturdy as a wall tent and I wouldn't want to put it up ahead of season and leave it, but it's a solid versatile shelter. It's quick to put up or tear down making it pretty mobile. We looked at wall tents, trailers, and other options. The versatility of this one is what sold us on it. So far we are very happy with our purchase. It's not perfect for everything, but it does a lot for what it cost and is workable in a lot of situations.

On a side note the Seek DST tarp is a great tarp for the money. I camped a bunch on the river under it this summer catfishing. We used it to glass and call under at camp in AK too when visibility was to poor to venture out to far. It sets up super quick and easy in the flying diamond shape and can be a great gear/wood storage area outside the tipi too. It is a good addition to the pack in bad weather also when it isn't being used at camp.

I don't know if this is an option you are considering or not but figured I'd throw it out. The classic wall tent has nostalgia, security, long burning stove, and space the tipi doesn't. Both definitely have their advantages. Until I can afford both I'll run my tipi.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 11-05-2018 at 08:57 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts
    The ability to have a safe, sheltered source of dry heat in adverse weather can't be understated.

Its true wool can provide some warmth when damp; and that there are technologically amazing fabrics that can wick moisture - but inevitably clothing gets wet - having that stove to warm the air to dry your stuff and provide heat is huge.

Spiking and coyoting out, traveling super light, can be pursued from a base camp using one of these larger heated tipi or wall tent options; but the lines are blurry since some of these new heated options are becoming so portable.

I know the times I had a stove in a wall tent it was so easy to dry all my perspiration soaked clothes at the end of a long hunting day; and these last 2 yrs, camping with just light backpacking tents, the heat was missed and not having it was noticed.

Long term, I want a setup that has a stove option.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    The ability to have a safe, sheltered source of dry heat in adverse weather can't be understated.

Its true wool can provide some warmth when damp; and that there are technologically amazing fabrics that can wick moisture - but inevitably clothing gets wet - having that stove to warm the air to dry your stuff and provide heat is huge.

Spiking and coyoting out, traveling super light, can be pursued from a base camp using one of these larger heated tipi or wall tent options; but the lines are blurry since some of these new heated options are becoming so portable.

I know the times I had a stove in a wall tent it was so easy to dry all my perspiration soaked clothes at the end of a long hunting day; and these last 2 yrs, camping with just light backpacking tents, the heat was missed and not having it was noticed.

Long term, I want a setup that has a stove option.

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    No truer statement there...As a guy who works outside year round it’s a huge plus to slip off the sweat laden boots and socks at the end of a long day and atleast get them dried out and warmed up. With not trying to get deep in the backcounty with my basecamp, I’ll take the extra weight of a wall tent and heavy duty stove along with warm & dry at the end day. Maybe once I’m a better-seasoned elk hunter I’ll take a crack at archery and backpack hunt in the warmer seasons.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timr245 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my post regarding wall tents! I just took advantage of a great offer from Cabela's and picked up a 12x14 Montana Canvas tent, as they were finally back in stock. Seems like most of my elk hunting will be done solo so I think it will be a perfect space for me to have my cot, gear and store wood inside. I have decided to purchase their frame to go with it as I have read many great things about them but that will need to wait a while yet. As soon as I get it though it will be setup and tore down in the backyard a few times to become efficient at it. I can not wait to get this thing on the ground in Wyoming next October!!! Still haven't done a test burn of my newly built wood stove but that will be also be coming very soon, I'll be sure to let everyone know how well and long it burns fully loaded, just in case someone else would like to build one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 753 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 325 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timr245 View Post
    Thanks again to everyone who contributed to my post regarding wall tents! I just took advantage of a great offer from Cabela's and picked up a 12x14 Montana Canvas tent, as they were finally back in stock. Seems like most of my elk hunting will be done solo so I think it will be a perfect space for me to have my cot, gear and store wood inside. I have decided to purchase their frame to go with it as I have read many great things about them but that will need to wait a while yet. As soon as I get it though it will be setup and tore down in the backyard a few times to become efficient at it. I can not wait to get this thing on the ground in Wyoming next October!!! Still haven't done a test burn of my newly built wood stove but that will be also be coming very soon, I'll be sure to let everyone know how well and long it burns fully loaded, just in case someone else would like to build one.
    Montana Canvas offers just the corner connections if you want to get your own pipe and cut. Can save some money there if you have the time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Montana Canvas offers just the corner connections if you want to get your own pipe and cut. Can save some money there if you have the time.
    I will have to look into that, I would have the time to do so and I could burn my Cabela’s points on something else I’m sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 487 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 154 Times in 34 Posts
    Arctic Oven tents are outstanding. They sell stoves made for them also. Spendy, but if you plan on camping in harsh conditions, it would be hard to do much better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 254 Times in 58 Posts
    Wow. Those are expensive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A486ADB3-4A99-47F4-B994-70E7BC87738E.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	22879
    All setup and had the stove rolling for a few days to test it out as well. I even crashed in it last night just to try out the new cot, sleeping pad & bag. It was 28 and snowed/sleeted alot last night & I was toasty warm, dry and woke up to a 52 degree tent, couldnt be much happier with the setup as of now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Timr245 For This Useful Post:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to Timr245 For This Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 753 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 325 Times in 71 Posts

Awesome!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast