Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts

Wall Tent Suggestions

Hello all, for lack of a tent-specific section in the gear area, I'm posting here to see what everyone would suggest for a wall tent. I've looked at everything from "The Wall Tent Shop.com" to the Cabela's Alaknak. I plan to use this tent for years to come on Wyoming and Colorado elk hunts, so everything from September to mid-late October. I'll take the good, the bad, the ugly on anything. Thanks in advance!!! PS meant for this to go in the "Elk" section.
    Last edited by Timr245; 10-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 54 Posts
    If it was me I would look into these. I dont own one but if I did I would buy one of these.
    I kicked around the idea of buying one several times. If I ever camp for goats I will pick one up.

https://www.competitiveedgeproducts....4aAhbtEALw_wcB

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have used both the canvas wall tent and the Cabelas Alaskan models while out West. I think that it would come down to what your plan is on how your hunting and how many people plan on having in the tent with you. If you want some room to roam, camp stove and possibly cook then the wall tent is the way to go, but when we just did MRE's, we were able to have 4 guys in the Cabela's Alaskan with a Big buddy heater and it worked out good. Good luck in your search.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 144 Times in 24 Posts
    Davis Tent and Awning in Denver.
    We have a 12x14 that works great for the two of us. Internal frame, they supply the angle brackets you buy the electric conduit and cut it to the lengths they tell you.
    We have used our tent in every kind if weather including very cold and wet. I bought some 4x15 ft canvas drop cloths and hang them along the walls inside for extra warmth, works quite well in extreme cold, double walls keep the warmth in.
    Takes us about 1 hr to get camp completely set, tent up and everything inside.
    Get a little bigger than you think you need, we've had 3 folks sleeping in ours and it works but is cramped. For us the wall tent is very stable in all kinds of weather, staked out correctly.
    Many companies make good wall tents so just look around. We bought our during Davis' summer sale and saved a bunch.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 9 Posts
    To be honest most wall tents are fairly similar. Few really stand out from the rest IMO.

About 10 years ago I was in the market for a canvas tent. Did lots of research and as mentioned found that once you go into canvas the choices all seemed the same.

Then I ran across David Ellis Canvas. I was absolutely blown away by the differences in his products versus what else is out there. I was specifically looking for something smaller in a tipi style and his awning system was completely different than others I had seen. From the basic woodsman tarp to the split torrent this are different and loaded with features/details you won't find in others.

I spent Sunday and Monday night in that tent actually. Still works as good as the day I bought it.

https://elliscanvastents.com/collections/canvas-tents

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 9 Posts
    Davis tent, have had one for many years.

They run specials all the time with packages. Save your money and order what you want. I had doors put in both ends, windows on both sides and had screens put in so I can use it in the summer and keep the bugs out.

If nothing else call Davis and talk to them. Great people that will answer any questions weather you buy from them or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have two Davis wall tents, a 10x12 I run solo and a 14x16 I use for multiple people. I haven’t used any other brands but I would highly recommend Davis.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does it have to be a ground tent? We bought a Jumping Jack last year, which is a canvas tent (very similar to a normal wall tent) that happens to be on a trailer. The trailer is super rugged so we've had it in some very hairy spots on public land, and it'll carry two ATVs (or more, they have bigger ones).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    I have a 12x14 wall tent and a 10x14 Kodak Canvas. I am tempted to get a stove hole put in the Kodiak and get rid of the wall tent. Not brave enough to do it yet, as my wall tent has stood up to 60mph gusts in storms, in August. Like both a bunch. Wall tent is a Montana brand internal frame. For late Oct, I use my wall tent, up to early Oct. the Kodiak unless I’m up high, then the wall tent. Kodiak is easy to set up alone, it has lots of advantages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 717 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 323 Times in 70 Posts

Like others have said.
    1) gotta determine what seasons you want it for
    2) how warm you wanna be
    3) type of heat

Then you have many options. Example. My Sept/Oct tent is a Mon t Ana Canvas company, internal frame with the resolite ( sp) walls. It makes the whole set up significantly lighter, but doesn't hold heat as well as a full canvas.

Other things to consider
    1) stove jack postion ing
    2) windows for venting
    3) fly screen internal door
    4) rain/snow fly for a porch area

Davis or Montana Canvas would be my choice. No real reason you have to buy new either. Lots of used ones for sale out there and lots of sales on new ones every year also.

Feel free to throw all your questions at me. I live in one pretty much for 25 days every September for the past 8 years. I'm getting a new one this year from Montana Canvas with some things changed on it from the original design.

Oh yeah, think about where you are gonna cook also during your hubts. I have a seperate cooking tent/kitchen that butts up to the main tent.
    Last edited by Slugz; 10-03-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast