Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts

Son's first WTD hunt (Idaho GMU 10A, 16)

I never ask for assistance with hunt locations; however, this is my son's first big game hunt and I would like to put him in a good general location. He has a late October B-Day so I am limited to WTD and for this reason I need some help. I have never hunted WTD, only Mule deer, so this is new territory for me. He will be the only one with a tag. I have a controlled deer tag elsewhere which works out great because I can focus on mentoring my son.

We are looking at GMU 16 and/or 10A. He is in pretty good condition and VERY EXCITED to say the least. He can probably hike 5 miles a day on moderate terrain. Any info/tips on the above units would be much appreciated. Even if you are telling me where not to take a 10 year old in these units I will be grateful. Feel free to send PM if you are more comfortable with that. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 9 Posts
    I don't know anything about Idaho WTD. But if you & your son wanted to make a trip to Oklahoma I can put you on some WTD.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am not sure where you will be traveling from but the units north of 10A would give your son a longer time to hunt and would also get you into the rut. I saw in the regulations that a second deer tag can’t be used in 10A. That suggests to me that the deer aren’t doing as well there. Of course, that might be in place solely to limit the mule deer harvest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    I don't know anything about Idaho WTD. But if you & your son wanted to make a trip to Oklahoma I can put you on some WTD.
    Thanks Eberle. I appreciate it. Mom won't let him miss that much school!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BAKPAKR View Post
    I am not sure where you will be traveling from but the units north of 10A would give your son a longer time to hunt and would also get you into the rut. I saw in the regulations that a second deer tag can’t be used in 10A. That suggests to me that the deer aren’t doing as well there. Of course, that might be in place solely to limit the mule deer harvest.
    WTD are doing well for the most part. However, this unit gets hit hard, lots of hunters, large harvest. Northern Idaho Whitetails Forever pushed for change due to fewer mature bucks and lower deer numbers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule3006Elk View Post
    Thanks Eberle. I appreciate it. Mom won't let him miss that much school!
    LOL, I understand got 4 in school myself
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 902 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 201 Times in 67 Posts

I'm with you as well with 3 young'ins.