Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thoughts on a Late season Jacket

What are your guys thoughts on a good late season jacket. One that would be good down to or below zero? Wind resistant and some level of insulation. I guess my question is is the Kuiu guide jacket warm enough? Mid November migration deer hunt in wyoming?
    Do you know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians? " Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 783 Times in 131 Posts
    Sitka Coldfront is my go to. Super warm, water proof, breathable and light weight.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure you'll get a ton of opinions in the "I have $200+ to burn" category. Here's mine for the rest of y'all on a budget, like me. I have a Levi's "Sherpa" I think it's called olive trucker's jacket. $25 at Costco last year, on sale.

It's a padded jacket but not thick enough to go on its own. But that's not what I wanted anyway. I like to go in layers. Under this I can wear one or more of a therma-silk or similar "long johns" thermal layer, a thin or thick shirt (usually flannel or padded flannel), this jacket, then a weather or camo layer as necessary.

It's a versatile setup. When I take the kids ice-skating, this jacket over a flannel shirt is plenty. For a winter hike, add a thermal layer underneath and I'm plenty warm. If I'm hunting, I have a Herter's camo light rainjacket that doubles as my rain/wet weather gear and my camo layer. But since the jacket's dark olive, if I take the camo layer off I'm still pretty discrete. I've walked up on plenty of doe groups just out on normal hikes while wearing it. With all four layers, I've worn it in 10 below and blowing wind and been plenty warm.

Costco's here in Colorado at least also regularly sells fleece-lined pants pretty cheap too. They make a great match.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    taskswap...Herters I didn't know that others grew as old as I am!Still have Herters Elk,Coyote,Turkey,Chukar and Varmit calls oh yea' Duck call.Still in original boxes!Yes I'm older than dirt.I AM dirtclod Az.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    FL puffy with breathable waterproof shell.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    What is a jacket?I live in Az. No shirt,No shoes No problem.Only wear shorts for grocery shopping.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtclod Az. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 180 Times in 31 Posts
    I had a Kuiu Guide jacket but sold it. For me it was a little to slim in the torso and long in the sleeves to fit perfect. I went with a Kryptek Dalibor II I like better. It isn't super warm by itself but over a puffy it works well for me. I like it so well I got a new one for hunting after a couple seasons and use my old one on the ranch. It has a really well designed hood that doesn't cut my peripheral vision. I really don't want a lot of insulation in my jacket, I'd rather tackle that with layers. Usually an Aerowool base, fleece or merino mid, and a jacket with a puffy in the pack for when I stop. Often the jacket ends up in the pack too when hiking hard.

The other jacket I like is the Sitka Mountain Jacket. It is thin and light, it's pretty much just a wind shirt. I find that a lot of times it works just right to walk in with over a base layer or base and fleece, and then I can put a puffy over or under it when I stop to glass and be fine. It does not have a hood so my other layers need to account for that.

Later season I really like the Kifaru Lost Park Puffy as an insulating layer. It's really warm and pretty wind and water resistant. Earlier I like the Kuiu Kenai puffy, it's lighter and quieter. I take the Kuiu Kenai pants too for long cold glassing sessions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 279 Times in 48 Posts
    I prefer 4-5 thin layers. 2 base layers of wool, 1 layer of thicker fleece, and a thinner outer layer that's wind and waterproof. Allows you to add and remove as needed weather your hiking, hauling out meat, gets a bit warm during mid day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 20 Posts
    My go to late season coat is my King of the Mountain Bowman with a puffy underneath. It's a vintage one , wouldn't buy a new now.
    Get a good puffy and a jacket that it fits under it and you should be good.
    I wore my KOM with a puffy for my cow bison at below zero temps. Glad I had it on. For a Nov hunt you may need a really warm coat or may have decent temps. Layers would be best. Wind will be the biggest issue with the cold.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 242 Times in 53 Posts

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...0.uts?slotId=0

I have this one. I see it is on sale now.

I cant wear it unless its below 0..lol