Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Wyoming region M Rifle Deer Hunt

I have a region m general tag for deer and will be hunting unit 40. I have never been there before and don't know what to expect, would anybody be able to give me some advise on where to start planning to hunt, not afraid to put some boot leather on the ground. looking at BLM land south of ten sleep along 434 or east of there. will be setting up a wall tent so want to try to find a area with not a ton of hunters, and good deer numbers.

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 977 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 74 Posts
    Congrats on the tag and good luck on the hunt. There are good deer numbers in that area. Careful of Private vs public property boundaries.

Tell us a little out yourself virgil? I assume you've hunted in the west in the past as you are taking a wall tent
    btw: everyone want's an area with good deer numbers and low hunters in the field. Good luck with that one. :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Bone collector, thanks for the response- from Wisconsin, mostly deer and bear hunt here, and elk hunt central Colorado, aways been a DIY guy, just figured I would change it up a bit and try mulies. I never hunted Wyoming before. Have you hunted the areas I am referring too? I have the BLM maps and on x app

And yeah I get it on the lost of game, and few hunters areas... a dumb question on my part

5. The Following User Says Thank You to virgil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 9 Posts
    I've hunted that area 3 times for antelope mostly on BLM ground. I've never seen a lot of deer there but there are a lot on private as you drive south on 434. I would try to get on the BLM on the backside of those fields to catch them going back to their roost on BLM, especially if its dry. Lots of hilly ground there so a spotter and some good bino's would help to locate them
    Good luck on your hunt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 110 Times in 23 Posts
    I tagged along with someone I met that hunted the unit in 2014. We hunted on the blm ground around 10 miles south of Ten Sleep. Were there for the opening week, but a snow storm went through the area about a week before that. We saw a tail or 2 and that was it. Tracks and scat everywhere from before the storm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wyoming Hart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 5 Posts

I have hunted that area about 10 times over the years, PM me and I can possibly give you some information.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dan maule For This Useful Post: