Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CO Muzzy Help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 434 Times in 113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief J View Post
    I'm curious, is the Windex (vinegar based) to clean or cool the bore, or both?
    Clean.......
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 113 Times in 19 Posts
    Well, think I got it figured out. I'm shooting 90 grains of blackhorn and stopped swabbing with a wet patch in between shots. I just used a dry patch doubled up and forced it through there. I also cleaned out the breach plug really good with a drill bit by hand which seems to have helped as well. Finally shot about 10-12 rounds today and got it dialed in. I'm dead on at 150 with about a 2.5" group of three shots. Most of that is human error I'm guessing. At 100 I'm just an inch or two high and had about the same or slightly smaller group. It has been a pain, but now that I have it figured out I just need to keep shooting to start gaining confidence!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to tdcour For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    What were you using to swab the barrel between shots? You don’t need to swab at all between shots using BH209. Just clean when you get home like your centerfire guns. Cleaning your BP with a drill bit is definitely needed though. I clean with a drill bit after every 3 shots or so. Your groups sound pretty good to me!
    For many hunters the stigma of being unsuccessful has become so unbearable that the satisfaction of the hunt itself has become lost...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    What were you using to swab the barrel between shots? You don’t need to swab at all between shots using BH209. Just clean when you get home like your centerfire guns. Cleaning your BP with a drill bit is definitely needed though. I clean with a drill bit after every 3 shots or so. Your groups sound pretty good to me!
    I was using the blackhorn cleaner every third or fourth shot or so. I was having difficulties loading my round if I didn't clean it. The dry patch seems to be working much better now. I'm definitely going to have the bit handy now when I go shoot! It was amazing how much crud I was able to get out of that thing. I don't think the guy I borrowed it from had every cleaned it
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    I was using the blackhorn cleaner every third or fourth shot or so. I was having difficulties loading my round if I didn't clean it. The dry patch seems to be working much better now. I'm definitely going to have the bit handy now when I go shoot! It was amazing how much crud I was able to get out of that thing. I don't think the guy I borrowed it from had every cleaned it
    Gotcha. I never clean or swab between shots with BH209. Running a dry patch sounds like it’s working for you though. The drill bit in the flash channel can really help improve accuracy. I think a lot of guys don’t do that. Like I said before, your groups are really good for open sights. A little practice & you should be good to go!
    For many hunters the stigma of being unsuccessful has become so unbearable that the satisfaction of the hunt itself has become lost...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 867 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 232 Times in 55 Posts
    It will clean the boar out and keep the rifling's sharp when sighting in.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 696 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 322 Times in 69 Posts
    It's amazing when we start talking the things I never heard before but hear.....here�� Thanks for the drill bit tip. Great idea. I was taught to use a paperclip to keep it clean, but a small bit makes way more sense. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 867 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 232 Times in 55 Posts
    For the flash channel you can also use a proper fitting welding torch tip cleaner. If you have never seen one they are like a small round file and if you have a welding shop in your area you should be able to pick up a dozen or so of the proper size. Just take the breach plug out and take it with you to get the proper size for the flash channel.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think we're starting to talk about two different things... a breech plug like what's in the OP's T/C has a flash "channel" and a flash "hole". The flash channel is what needs to be cleaned out with a drill bit. The flash "hole" can be cleaned with a torch tip or your standard nipple pick.

Each manf. breech plug requires a different size drill bit size that fits just right into the flash "channel" Pretty sure a T/C breech plug needs an 1/8" bit. You can buy a Pin vise/ hand drill to put your drill bit into that makes cleaning really easy. Gives you a handle to hold onto and spin your drill bit. It has to be spun to dig in and cut through the fouling. The flash channel will get really cruded up after shooting BH209. You will be surprised how much caked on junk comes out of it if you've never cleaned it at the range before. This fouling WILL affect accuracy! I don't worry about the flash "hole" to much. This is kinda different from what I do with my percussion guns (#11 cap) where all I use is a nipple pick to make sure the nipple (breech plug) is clear.

There's really no reason to swab between shots using BH209. BH209 tends to like a little fouling in the barrel to shoot at it's best. Of course all guns are a little different and running a dry patch down it after a dozen shots or so might not be detrimental. Although I don't think it's really needed. BH209 is a totally different beast than Pyrodex, Triple7 and others...

Thanks
    Congratulations

Completley agree CoHi. That is what I have been seeing now that I've been shooting more. My flash channel was pretty nasty and had a bunch of caked on crap in it, but the flash hole was usually pretty clean.

I'll have to try to not clean between shots next time I go shoot. Waiting on more Thors to show up today or tomorrow and it to stop raining so I can go shoot more.

Speaking of rain, how does everyone keep their powder dry in their gun. I have tubes for extra shots, but just thinking once its loaded it is going to be hard to keep it dry. Tape or rubber over the barrel seems easy, but what about the breach? It seems like there could be an issue there with condensation or even just a quick storm catching a guy off guard. Anyone use some sort of grease or anything like that around the breach to keep water out?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast