Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 83-type 1-Wy. Antelope

Anyone hunted Area 83? My 18 Yr. old daughter drew her 1st. Wy. tag! I can"t wait to smell the sage! I've got B. L.M. maps& some contacts,hope a75" buck isn't to unrealistic. Anyone hunted Anthony Martinez Ranch? Shumways or Campbells? Any help would be appreciated. Dave J. -ohio

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Drew it myself. Can also smell the sage, and it will be a long 3 months. How many points did your daughter have. I had 6. I have not hunted 83, but have done a lot of research. A 75" goat is very obtainable (if one can hold out) as far as the ranches go, I know nothing of them, but from what I've read you don't need to hunt a ranch (pay a trespass fee) to shoot a good goat. Endless amounts of info on the net, and between the info and a couple maps and a call or 2 to the local warden and bio you should be able to pinpoint a couple good starting points. If you haven't already, download ONX maps on your phone. It will give you detailed info about where all private land is and who owns it. At least research it. I bought it for this trip. I have 3 particular places that I have researched and will spend my first day in one of them to at least start my hunt. I will not arrive until the 26th to avoid some of the crowds. If you guys are still there, I will at least give intel if you are in need. Will be staying in Thermopolis. Brother in law and I have 4 muley doe tags between us also.

Dave C
    Last edited by kelso; 07-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dave C : I'm pretty ready,Do you think I'm crazy going on opener? Are you going to Absoroka Front H.M.A.? Its big.I plan on camping unless its real cold. It comes in on a Thurs. I think-20th. I got the Wy. chip for my G.P.S.I think my daughter had 5 pts.Good luck, we will prob. be in a blk. ford pickup. Dave- roundball

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No, I don't think its crazy to be hunting the opener. It is a very large unit, so the opening weekend guys will be spread out. We will actually be staying in a motel, and I drive a white f-150 ecoboost. I have not looked into the HMA you spoke of, but will at least look it up on the net.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am going to be there on Oct. 1, I hunted the area about 6 yrs ago, doe tag. This will be my first time with a buck tag in my pocket, bringing my 9 yr old son with me. I would appreciate any help or advice you guys are willing to give.

thanks
    doug

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Doug, I will still be there, and will monitor this site. Give me a shout, and I will help if I can.

Dave

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks! I will keep in touch

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 9 Posts
    Hunted the unit last year. Went 3 for 3 on decent bucks. It was my buddies first hunt out west, and going back out there for a deer hunt next year is all he talks about. He’s got the western hunting bug real bad.

You guys will have a fun hunt. Plenty of critters to look at, and plenty of ground to chase them on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Arrived today and spent it looking around getting a feel for the area. Saw several nice goats, but none I was willing to shoot the first day. Back at it in the am.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kelso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Hey Dave,
    I'm jealous and anxious to hear about your adventures! Good luck!
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast