Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weighted pack training

For the last year I have been using my cabelas pack frame at the gym once a week. Most of the time I load it up and use the stair machine for 20-30 minutes. I started at 35 pounds if I remember correctly and have added 5 pounds every 6 weeks or so. I will move up to 80 pounds at the beginning of the week.

I am just wondering if the altlas trainer pack would be of any benefit. I have no tag this fall and I am just continuing training for next fall. My plan is to start working on longer time with the pack on. I want to be in fair shape when I finally do get lucky.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Not sure about the Atlas but weight training is a huge help for me. I load my pack up with about 50lbs and hike the trails.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 146 Times in 36 Posts
    Best way is to head out for a 3-4 day backpacking trip. Take more than you need so your pack is heavy and enjoy the outdoors.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zpooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 785 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    BD,

Short answer no way. Don't buy it unless you just want to throw away a couple hundred bucks$$$......and in that case send it to me.

Humping around now with that much weight for 30 minutes is fine......keep what your doing.

Solid cardio program - I like inclined treadmill programs that simulate the actual trail I will be on
    Standard all body muscle weight program
    Eat correctly.

From the sounds of it you are already doing the above....just keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 129 Times in 26 Posts
    I'm starting some "weighted Pack Training" tomorrow. Backpacking a couple segments of the CT. Nothing like actually packing in the mountains to prepare for packing in the mountains . Of course I realize not everyone has that option...
    For many hunters the stigma of being unsuccessful has become so unbearable that the satisfaction of the hunt itself has become lost...

9. The Following User Says Congratulations to CoHiCntry For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 6 Posts
    No experience with Atlas but I have done quite a bit of hiking/running River bluffs close to home with a weighted vest that I worked up to 50 lbs 3x a week for 1.5 hrs per outing. Running on a machine is fine, but imo nothing beats real conditions on actual trails. Gives your joints, muscles n tendons real world training for the twists n turns you are likely to experience on the hunt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kesand72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I'm starting some "weighted Pack Training" tomorrow. Backpacking a couple segments of the CT. Nothing like actually packing in the mountains to prepare for packing in the mountains . Of course I realize not everyone has that option...
    Where are you starting/finishing? I?m planning on doing two sections later this summer. The first two sections in Wyoming going S to N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 129 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    Where are you starting/finishing? I?m planning on doing two sections later this summer. The first two sections in Wyoming going S to N.

We just completed the first two segments of the Colorado Trail. You must be thinking about the Continental divide trail?
    For many hunters the stigma of being unsuccessful has become so unbearable that the satisfaction of the hunt itself has become lost...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    We just completed the first two segments of the Colorado Trail. You must be thinking about the Continental divide trail?
    Yes, I?m planning on doing the CDT. Two segments this summer, then go from there till I cross the entire state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 240 Times in 48 Posts

I always run till July. After that its to hot. So every July I pack train with 70lbs 3 mornings a week till season starts in September. I would much rather pack train with my Kifaru Pack than anything else.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast