Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Like many others I too have multiple rifles that range from .243, .270, 30-30, 30-06, and 7mm Rem Mag. I however for the last several years have found myself reaching for the tried & true 7mm Rem Mag. Not because I believe this caliber outperforms the others, we all know that some are more practical than others for specific situations (i.e. Hogs in the South Georgia swamps or coyotes in the Mojave Desert). What it boils down to is confidence, I am more confident with my 7mm Mag than any other rifle I own.
    I truly believe that regardless of caliber or brand, confidence in ones gear is the greatest contributor to success in the field aside from preparation and opportunity.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewToCali For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 52 Times in 10 Posts
    Thompson Center Encore-Black powder and lots of centerfire barrels- .223 to 45-70. Love my 7mm-08, Love the .375 H&H, have not tried the 416 Rigby or 338 Win Mag yet. The 12 guage with turkey loads works. These guns once you figure them out are scary accurate!! God Bless ya'll

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    223 Zombies, coyotes
    243 coyote, antelope, deer backup
    270 antelope, deer, bear,
    300 win.mag elk, bear,
    340 wby. elk, moose,

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a new member, I?ll revive an old thread! While we have a multitude of rifles/handguns, I am a ?one gun? (excluding my handgun) hunter. My wife is also, a ?one gun? hunter. We choose calibers, that can be used for all North American game, and most African game. We use one bullet, one load, and one zero for all hunting. If we were hunting exclusively in dense timber, we would likely change the zero. However, our hunting covers a multitude of terrain and ranges (very close to 500 yards).....hence the ?zero? system we use! memtb

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 18 Posts
    Well, this is what a cheap guy that lives 1,000 miles away from the front range used/uses to kill 1 mule deer and 1 antelope , so far in his journey as a western hunter:

30+ yr old Win Mdl 70; .280 Rem, 22" bbl

Bullets: Sierra GK HPBT (used on the mule deer), Speer BTSP (used on the antelope), Speer GS (there is an elk somewhere with a death wish waiting for this one)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 972 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 239 Times in 58 Posts
    I have a number of rifles and calibers that I could say would be just the one gun for everything from rabbits up to the larger plains game in Africa. But the question is why, that would be so boring just having one rifle in one caliber to do everything. Now back when I was young and couldn't afford much I used my old 30-06 for everything from rabbits up to elk and it worked quite well. But then I found that there were better rabbit guns and elk rifles and calibers out there so I started to add to my collection.

I now have rabbit guns, deer guns, elk guns, and quite a few inbetween. I have bolt actions, single shots, and lever guns that also fit the bill from rabbits up to elk and even the big bears.

Life would be way too boring to just be able to pull one rifle out of the safe and go hunt anything. But then I have a few that I can do that with also.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JimP, Same Caliber since 1983, same rifle and cartridge since 1990. I did change bullet weights about 5 years ago! Have been pretty successful with it! The wife has used same rifle/caliber/bullet weight....since 1995! She’s done pretty well, also! I know, quite boring....but effective! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 01-19-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 972 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 239 Times in 58 Posts
    I just learned over the years that there are rounds that will do a lot of things better than others. Granted my old 06 will handle anything that I have shot in my life. From parrie dogs in Wyoming to the African plains game that I have shot.

But I have also learned that shooting parrie dogs is a lot more fun with a 22-250 or similar caliber than they are with one that you are tired of shooting after 100 rounds are shot downrange. Likewise when that trophy bull elk steps out at 600+ yards with no way to get closer that old 06 is going to be a marginal caliber for the shot, if you want to make a clean kill.

The old saying of beware of the person that only has one rifle because he knows how to use it also applies to those of us who have multiple rifles and calibers.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 102 Times in 20 Posts
    Elk - .338 WM, 185 gr. Barnes TSX reloads (so far four 6x6 bulls)
    cow elk - 30-06 Rem. Corelokt (1 so far)
    mule deer - .300 WM (2x)
    - 30-06 (Tika super lite, 2x)
    - 50 cal. muzzle-loader (1x)
    Antelope- 30-06 (5x)
    .243 (2x)
    Bison - 7mm mag. (1x)

**I find myself using the Tika 30-06 more and more. Why? Because it shoots real good, ammo is dirt cheep and I can shoot it a lot, it's light (5.8# w/o scope), light recoil, SS and composite stock make it almost weather proof. Head shot a rabbit while antelope hunting last year, and many white-tails in MN. Will be going with the MZL on an elk hunt in CO this year. Might try out the new .223 for doe antelope,coyote,prarie dogs, rabbits,stink bugs, etc. in WY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 182 Times in 29 Posts

Have used a 7 mag for many years with barnes 160tsx.
    Added a 300 win mag last year with 165 hornady gmx for taking to alaska. Used it on antelope, deer and caribou this last year.
    35 Whelen when conditions are shorter and tighter. Killed a moose and a deer with that.
    Backup is a 270 wsm and my first rifle I ever owned is always ready in 30-06 if ever needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast