Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    8,791
    Thanks
    3,160
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Congratulations
    893
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts

    Elk around Dillon and Bozeman

    Hey all

    I?m doing some research for my step son, his father and brother. They are wanting to hunt elk for the first time in Montana. They have been hunting deer in Mt for a few years with success but want to add elk to the mix. They have hunted some ranches that do not hold elk so they are looking in the Dillon and Bozeman areas.

    Any general info I can give them to help with their continued success is very appreciated. They are looking to fill the freezer but like anyone a good bull is always on their minds.

    Thanks all
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    I hunted the Snowcrests back in 16. We didn't do any damage to the population due to the unseasonably warm weather but I would surely go back. Its a trip for people who are in decent shape and grizzly aware but I think it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix. One thing I would say is that the country felt challenging but manageable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 41 Times in 20 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    I hunted the Snowcrests back in 16. We didn't do any damage to the population due to the unseasonably warm weather but I would surely go back. Its a trip for people who are in decent shape and grizzly aware but I think it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix. One thing I would say is that the country felt challenging but manageable.
    HUH? Lot's of elk hunting on public land in Montana WITHOUT a grizz for miles and miles...LOL.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    6
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    If you say so...pony up a spot for the guy then.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 41 Times in 20 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    I hunted the Snowcrests back in 16. We didn't do any damage to the population due to the unseasonably warm weather but I would surely go back. Its a trip for people who are in decent shape and grizzly aware but I think it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix. One thing I would say is that the country felt challenging but manageable.
    To say "it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix." , just shows you do not know Montana very well....I can think of numerous areas without grizzlies and plenty of elk here, hell, I live a half hour from the Missouri breaks. Now if your talking public land around Bozeman, that might be true to some extent, but even around there, there are Mt ranges without grizzlies within a cpl hours at the most.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bitterroot Valley, MT.
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 185 Times in 120 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 162 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Hey all

    I?m doing some research for my step son, his father and brother. They are wanting to hunt elk for the first time in Montana. They have been hunting deer in Mt for a few years with success but want to add elk to the mix. They have hunted some ranches that do not hold elk so they are looking in the Dillon and Bozeman areas.

    Any general info I can give them to help with their continued success is very appreciated. They are looking to fill the freezer but like anyone a good bull is always on their minds.

    Thanks all
    Are you still on this? Are you thinking archery or rifle? Elk numbers are WAY up and both are quality spots. Closer to Bozeman you will find bigger elk but fewer numbers, towards Dillon more elk but smaller bulls.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    8,791
    Thanks
    3,160
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Congratulations
    893
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Are you still on this? Are you thinking archery or rifle? Elk numbers are WAY up and both are quality spots. Closer to Bozeman you will find bigger elk but fewer numbers, towards Dillon more elk but smaller bulls.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They will be rifle hunting
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 146 Times in 13 Posts

    Will they have horses or are they going on foot? I went on a pack-in rifle hunt a few years back in the Madison Range east of Ennis Lake and my dad and I both shot 5 pt bulls. It would be a very tough hunt by foot though. We also had grizzly encounters too if that is a big concern to them.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •