Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts

Elk around Dillon and Bozeman

Hey all

I?m doing some research for my step son, his father and brother. They are wanting to hunt elk for the first time in Montana. They have been hunting deer in Mt for a few years with success but want to add elk to the mix. They have hunted some ranches that do not hold elk so they are looking in the Dillon and Bozeman areas.

Any general info I can give them to help with their continued success is very appreciated. They are looking to fill the freezer but like anyone a good bull is always on their minds.

Thanks all
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    I hunted the Snowcrests back in 16. We didn't do any damage to the population due to the unseasonably warm weather but I would surely go back. Its a trip for people who are in decent shape and grizzly aware but I think it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix. One thing I would say is that the country felt challenging but manageable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    I hunted the Snowcrests back in 16. We didn't do any damage to the population due to the unseasonably warm weather but I would surely go back. Its a trip for people who are in decent shape and grizzly aware but I think it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix. One thing I would say is that the country felt challenging but manageable.
    HUH? Lot's of elk hunting on public land in Montana WITHOUT a grizz for miles and miles...LOL.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 3 Posts
    If you say so...pony up a spot for the guy then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    To say "it would be very hard to find elk on public land in MT without grizzlies in the mix." , just shows you do not know Montana very well....I can think of numerous areas without grizzlies and plenty of elk here, hell, I live a half hour from the Missouri breaks. Now if your talking public land around Bozeman, that might be true to some extent, but even around there, there are Mt ranges without grizzlies within a cpl hours at the most.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 162 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Hey all

I?m doing some research for my step son, his father and brother. They are wanting to hunt elk for the first time in Montana. They have been hunting deer in Mt for a few years with success but want to add elk to the mix. They have hunted some ranches that do not hold elk so they are looking in the Dillon and Bozeman areas.

Any general info I can give them to help with their continued success is very appreciated. They are looking to fill the freezer but like anyone a good bull is always on their minds.

Thanks all
    Are you still on this? Are you thinking archery or rifle? Elk numbers are WAY up and both are quality spots. Closer to Bozeman you will find bigger elk but fewer numbers, towards Dillon more elk but smaller bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Are you still on this? Are you thinking archery or rifle? Elk numbers are WAY up and both are quality spots. Closer to Bozeman you will find bigger elk but fewer numbers, towards Dillon more elk but smaller bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They will be rifle hunting
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 146 Times in 13 Posts

Will they have horses or are they going on foot? I went on a pack-in rifle hunt a few years back in the Madison Range east of Ennis Lake and my dad and I both shot 5 pt bulls. It would be a very tough hunt by foot though. We also had grizzly encounters too if that is a big concern to them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk