Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forstner bits for case trimming

Anyone ever used forstner bits to trim down brass cases. Found a set at harbor freight for a good price and would like to know if it would work.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 245 Times in 53 Posts
    Seems like it would be very difficult to get a clean edge unless you have a drill press and a jig for holding the case absolutely in place.
    Also most tools from HF are so cheap because you get exactly what you pay for.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    For trimming cases just bite the bullet and purchase a case trimmer with the associated pilots for the calibers. They even make power ones if you don't like turning a crank. This way it will be done and done proper with the cases locked into a holder and a stop set up to keep you from trimming too much off.

As for HF tools, they might be cheap but their quality will equal just about any of the high end tools out there. I have a number of their tools that I have been using for the last 25-30 years and they are still going strong even if I did purchase them with the idea of just getting one use out of them. But you do have to watch what you purchase from them just for the reason that some of their items are close to being junk. But useful junk if you don't mind dealing with it.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a couple of trimmers from Little Crow Gunworks. https://littlecrowgunworks.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
    They take a bit to get set up, but then make the process pretty quick. You can order them from him or Midway has them too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Brownells also. Do you have a case length guage? Don't do any trimming without one. You should also have a neck deburring tool. They do inside & outside.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westcoastmountainman View Post
    Anyone ever used forstner bits to trim down brass cases. Found a set at harbor freight for a good price and would like to know if it would work.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
    Just purchase a relatively inexpensive case trimming die or a hand trimmer with caliber appropriate mandrels AND get your hands on a cartridge minimum / maximum case length chart so you'll know how much to trim off "if any", what your asking is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts

No. It will not work.