Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Something else to consider is that even with horses available elk don't always end up dying where the horses can reach them. A pack-out of some length may still be needed, I've been there.

this is true, I have a couple times had to pack an elk a short distance to the horses,but in all the years I have been hunting elk ,this is a rare situation. but it DOES happen. once had a bull bail off a cliff and roll down into some ugly, steep, stuff, where , I did not particularly, want to be , let alone take a horse.

for the most part though , if an elk can get there ,so can a HORSE. and on those few occasions I did have to pack it to the horses ,it was never a far pack. generally less then a couple hundred yards at most, with the exception of that one ,which was probably closer to half mile
    It's probably a bit more common where I hunt than most places. A big fire went through the canyon and left lots of sharp limbs and down trees that make getting horses into spots a little more hazardous. It can be easier to pack an elk a half mile than saw your way to where it dropped so horses can safely reach it. I also hunt the end of rifle season when bulls are pushed back into some really nasty stuff but they are pretty reliably in those spots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    I guess it depends? Since we don't use guides or have access to horses and pack in for 7 days at a time I don't carry a day pack at all. I empty my Kifaru except for water bladder ,food for two days, first aid stuff, cleaning gear with meat bags and other essentials. I always plan on killing a elk on every venture away from camp. (It doesnt always happen that way) So if I head back to camp I plan on it being with a heavy load!! I have never had any issues carrying my regular pack.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 805 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 200 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I guess it depends? Since we don't use guides or have access to horses and pack in for 7 days at a time I don't carry a day pack at all. I empty my Kifaru except for water bladder ,food for two days, first aid stuff, cleaning gear with meat bags and other essentials. I always plan on killing a elk on every venture away from camp. (It doesnt always happen that way) So if I head back to camp I plan on it being with a heavy load!! I have never had any issues carrying my regular pack.
    I agree 100% with this statement.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I agree 100% with this statement.
    Same here, that's why I went with the Kifaru Woodsman. Gives me a ton of options......even if I have stock tied up in the valley to get meat out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 805 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 200 Times in 66 Posts
    I agree slugs. For the same reasons but I use the Reckoning pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I agree slugs. For the same reasons but I use the Reckoning pack.
    Yep. I think there is a bunch of great options out there to accomplish this.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Same here, that's why I went with the Kifaru Woodsman. Gives me a ton of options......even if I have stock tied up in the valley to get meat out.
    What do you think of the woodsman
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I agree! I use my AMR when backpacking and my mountain rambler on most day trips. But have been eyeing the fulcrum. I do run a Nimrod pack for short hunts closer to the base camp or pickup. Much quieter material, suspension isn't comparable though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts

I like my kuiu icon pro 1850 pack for day packing,,,I have weighed all my stuff to minimal amounts and have my entire pack weight down to about 13 lbs including the pack at about 3 lbs.of course that is minimal good weather hunting,,but I have packed out a 100lb elk quarter on it,,very impressed with the carbon fiber frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12