Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 680 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mjblk78 View Post
    So I decided to get my hunting license this year and put in for some tags here in Nevada where I live. I was expecting not a single tag and was hoping to go with some friends this year for the experience. I figured I would get a few points and maybe get something in the next few years. Well the luck that I have, I managed to get a late 051 bull elk.

Now I?m shitting my pants. Any info on the area, hunting elk, rifle, not dying, any advice would be highly appreciated
    my very best advise ......on your elk hunt , DO NOT soil your jeans , it will not make for a pleasant experience.

unless it's really,really cold. in which case ,do what ya gotta do to keep warm. what happens on the mtn ,stays on the mtn but only if you hunt alone.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 44 Times in 15 Posts
    Good luck! That first elk hunt is eye opening! I was not in sheep shape to chase elk when I went on my hunt. But, learned from it and have some great memories even though I didn?t arrow a elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Watch lots of elk hunting videos. Both on youtube and videos you can buy. Make another post asking about what kind of gear you need. Such as first aid kit, clothing, boots, backpack, rain gear, spot messenger/GPS, and the list goes on and on. Read magazines and live on this forum as well as other forums. Ask lots of questions and look in the archives for old elk hunting posts. Goodluck. Fatrascal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Like others have said.... get in shape. Focus on legs. Squats, lunges, climbing. You need aerobic too but running 5 miles on flat ground isn't as important as having the leg strength for climbing with a pack and hopefully coming out heavy.

Search this forum. There is a load of good info on everything from gear to strategy.

Oh and congratulations on drawing. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 180 Times in 31 Posts
    Buy Mike Eastman's elk hunting book and read it, get in shape, and have fun!

If you aren't used to judging distances out west buy or borrow a rangefinder with angle compensation that is rated for twice as far as you want to shoot. It is a real confidence booster to know exactly how far to hold for when shooting, and a confident shooter has a greater chance of making a good shot. Practice your shooting and practice shooting winded. Not much wrecks a hunt more to me than wounding and losing an animal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 6 Posts
    Some good advice already given here. One thing I might ask you is, do you hunt deer? If so have you ever taken one and field dressed it? That experience will go a long way toward field dressing an elk, should you get one. These are big animals and unless you have had a little experience in field dressing something, it is going to be pretty tough. You really need to get someone with at least a little bit of elk hunting experience to go along, if you can. I'm not saying you can't go it alone and make it work, it's just going to be easier with someone who has done it before.....good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerbob View Post
    Some good advice already given here. One thing I might ask you is, do you hunt deer? If so have you ever taken one and field dressed it? That experience will go a long way toward field dressing an elk, should you get one. These are big animals and unless you have had a little experience in field dressing something, it is going to be pretty tough. You really need to get someone with at least a little bit of elk hunting experience to go along, if you can. I'm not saying you can't go it alone and make it work, it's just going to be easier with someone who has done it before.....good luck.

good advice ,even if your a pro at elk hunting.
    it's ALWAYS nice to have an extra "pack mule."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 84 Times in 12 Posts
    PM sent
    Just hoping everyone mentioning field dressing elk know about the gutless method. So much easier and cleaner in every way. If you don't know about it just try it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by lang View Post
    PM sent
    Just hoping everyone mentioning field dressing elk know about the gutless method. So much easier and cleaner in every way. If you don't know about it just try it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    never tried it but I may.IF I can get over my love of being arm deep in bloodnguts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 701 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 223 Times in 51 Posts

One problem that I have seen with those that use the gutless method is that they leave a whole lot of meat on the hill. I have come across a number of animals both deer and elk where someone has used it and you could get another 40 lbs of meat off of what they left on a elk, deer not so much but there is still meat left.

I hunted with a friend a few years ago and I shot my bull elk. He told me that he would show me how to do the gutless method and I let him go for it. By the time he was done I still cut meat off of the bones to pack out. He couldn't believe how much meat that I got off of it when he was done. The sad part was that he was going to leave the tender loins on the carcass just because he didn't want to go inside of the gut cavity. Not to mention leaving both the heart and liver.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast