Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    There is definitely something to that. A lot depends how vested you are with other species. Unlike a state like Wyoming where each species is on its own, after you buy the license in Nevada, the cost to add species is pretty low so the motivation is to apply for everything.

Five years ago, I would have likely dropped Nevada had I drawn deer because I was recently off the wait period for elk and desert sheep and had burned my antelope points not long before. Today, I have enough points for elk, antelope and California Bighorn I'm not sure I would drop out. I'd really be on the fence on that decision.
    So would you get in today if you were on the ground floor in NV? I made some bad decisions early on when I started applying for hunts out west. I tell anyone that asks me to avoid CA, OR, and WA like the plague. I never applied in CA because I could see the return on investment was so poor. I applied in WA for sheep for 3 years before I realized they have some of the worst odds in the west. Oregon sucked me in with their sheep odds (poor but not bad compared to other states) but the non-refundable cost is just too high for 1 in 200-400 draw odds. The elk/deer/quota isn't high enough to justify it on that end either. Believe it or not, your posts are what convinced me to drop Oregon. I got in late (2012-13) but I can't imagine getting in now for some of these states, I just don't know if it's worth it for the amount it costs just to apply every year. I'm just curious what your thoughts are for guys that are just starting out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Nevada is a good choice. The way the draw system works you have a chance to draw with 0 points. You can also look for good draw odds units and pick those to try and draw. Chances are you will draw with just a few points.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 146 Times in 27 Posts
    I would start over from ground zero in Nevada without a doubt. I am on waiting period for elk and pronghorn. Deer and sheep only right now.

Its close for me. I can be hunting in most units in under 12 hours. I like the season structure and weapon choices. I love the uncrowded mountains once I have a tag

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Extrapale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just to be clear I'm just asking because I saw some guys saying they were starting this year. I'm 7 years into it now so I'm not going anywhere. I look at it as a once in a lifetime deal for elk, maybe 2x each for antelope and deer, and maybe just maybe a desert bighorn! It's expensive but I feel confident I'll have a couple great hunts one day to make it all worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 168 Times in 44 Posts
    ya never know with nevada,,in 2017 i beat 1 in 5000 odds and pulled a california n r bighorn sheep tag in unit 32,,,.02% of a chance according to go hunt,but somebodys gotta get it,,,,now if they would only just give me a deer tag.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000 (19).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	23449

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ore hunter For This Useful Post:

8. The Following User Says Congratulations to ore hunter For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 433 Times in 64 Posts
    I'd start over again for sure. I've been on a dry spell as of late, but I have drawn deer 4 times and antelope once. I have a bunch of points for everything else, so you never know .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 290 Times in 94 Posts
    When did the application close?When is the actual draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    When did the application close?When is the actual draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    April 29 was the deadline and May 24th is the results release day. I'm glad they release the results so quickly. Now if we could get CO to release their results prior to the WY deadline all would be right in the world LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I will continue to try and draw Wyoming Antelope though. I just don?t see me ever getting premium tags for elk and deer.
    WY doesn't have premium deer tags, except for region G. G is better than 80% of all the deer tags in all the western states today. And if you draw G after 5 or 6 mild winters it's better than 99% of the tags in all the western states combined.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shooter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 654 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 436 Times in 50 Posts

Okay....I think it's safe to divulge this information as it's too late this year for it to be helpful to anyone. Gertrude, who runs the hunt draw for NDOW, loves chocolate covered strawberries. She's in her early 60s, "got a great personality", single, never been married or had a serious relationship. A box of chocolates and a kind note and you are good to go with a tag. Think I'm kidding....I've drawn a desert sheep, elk, three antelope and shot my biggest mule deer in Nevada all as a nonresident.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 05-15-2019 at 09:13 AM.

16. The Following User Says Congratulations to Umpqua Hunter For This Post:

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast