Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 50 elk insight

So I drew my second choice - an early archery tag in 50. I have zero experience in New Mexico and very little elk hunting. My gut instinct was to start looking for high spots with water... is it possible that elk can be low as well should I expand my computer map scouting to the lower elevations as well looking for drainages at say 6000 ft. We are talking sept 1-14 lots of flat desert with a few large volcanic mountains.

If you know some positive things or have some encouraging ideas I?d be super appreciative. In the end I have a tag in my hand and I?m hunting elk so I?m happy to be west bound

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 8 Posts
    Wish I could help. Actually considered putting in for this unit as third choice but all I was told is that unit is tuff. Ive hunted enuff to know what tuff means. I would hunt water if at all possible and have been told to not overlook the areas other than the volcanic peaks. Pot mountain (cerro de la olla) will likely have a lot of hunters. Good luck and I would recommend heading over to taos while ur there and pick up some roasted green chilis. They r lights out!
    Last edited by swampokie; 04-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts
    Have you done any searches here on the forum?
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    @swamppokie Yeah I saw the same comments, but looking at the trend in the unit off of Go Hunt it was up at 19,36, and 30 percent harvests the 3 early archery seasons before. So someone has it figured out. My guess is they aren?t on those volcanic mountains like you suggested. But how many elk hunters are finding elk in junipers at 6000 ft in sept?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Those are really good odds. I bet u would be surprised at the bulls in the junipers. I bet the sw part of the unit near 51 border would be a good place to check out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I’m going for both weeks with a friend coming the 2nd + a week before to scout and drop cameras I feel as if your comments mimic my thoughts so if I spend the first week in the south portion of the unit and it sucks im blaming you for concurring hehehe. I’m gonna try to buy Aton of trail cams and drop em on every water source I can find.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Let’s bump this up and see what the plan for unit 50 is. Have u narrowed it down 3614? Curious with the drought what the elk will be doing.