Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 18 Posts

I agree that it isn't so much the distance that you travel, but more the terrain that is traversed while doing so. Use an established trail to get you started if necessary, but once you do some bush-wacking or travel thru country where horses can't go you will leave most everyone else including outfitters behind. Do keep in mind that you have to come back out, and hopefully while packing out the remnants of the critter that you shot. Do your due diligence to ensure that there isn't some other easy way into the spot that you are accessing the hard way, or it may just be wasted effort on your part.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 741 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 101 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    I agree that it isn't so much the distance that you travel, but more the terrain that is traversed while doing so. Use an established trail to get you started if necessary, but once you do some bush-wacking or travel thru country where horses can't go you will leave most everyone else including outfitters behind. Do keep in mind that you have to come back out, and hopefully while packing out the remnants of the critter that you shot. Do your due diligence to ensure that there isn't some other easy way into the spot that you are accessing the hard way, or it may just be wasted effort on your part.

ha. been there ,done that a couple times.

nothing worse then hiking up a steep arse hill and finding a fourwheeler at the top
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGOOSE676 View Post
    I spent last year in Colorado's units 18 and 37 2nd rifle season trying to learn to hunt mule deer. I.ve never been there before and didn't know where to start. I got boots on the ground and found what i thought was a good buck and took him home on the second day. My original plan was to backpack way back and spend time glassing but after i located my buck near my camp i couldn't be persuaded to go further back. I now have ?'s. What is a mule deers preferred habitat ? Should i spend time in the "High country" for 2nd rifle ? Should i be looking more in the dark timber ? Is a 4th rifle season a better opportunity ? for GMU 18 37.
    'Your Buck' was where he was for a reason. It would probably be a good idea to analyze that area and see what type of habitat /vegetation / cover was there. Also, there is a fair chance that there may have been other bucks in that area that you may not have seen, or another buck may begin using that area.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 816 Times in 140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDGOOSE676 View Post
    Also how far do most people go back when they backpack ? I've found several off the road spots that are 7 or more miles back. How likely will it be to run into another hunter there ?
    Just a mile or 2 can make a big difference
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12