Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Newbie questions.

I spent last year in Colorado's units 18 and 37 2nd rifle season trying to learn to hunt mule deer. I.ve never been there before and didn't know where to start. I got boots on the ground and found what i thought was a good buck and took him home on the second day. My original plan was to backpack way back and spend time glassing but after i located my buck near my camp i couldn't be persuaded to go further back. I now have ?'s. What is a mule deers preferred habitat ? Should i spend time in the "High country" for 2nd rifle ? Should i be looking more in the dark timber ? Is a 4th rifle season a better opportunity ? for GMU 18 37.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 171 Times in 62 Posts
    Mike Eastman's book on Mule Deer would be a good resource to assist you with your questions. Congrats on the mulie!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got the high country one so far. I'm halfway through it. Which one do you recommend ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    David Longs book is another good one to read.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 92 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGOOSE676 View Post
    I spent last year in Colorado's units 18 and 37 2nd rifle season trying to learn to hunt mule deer. I.ve never been there before and didn't know where to start. I got boots on the ground and found what i thought was a good buck and took him home on the second day. My original plan was to backpack way back and spend time glassing but after i located my buck near my camp i couldn't be persuaded to go further back. I now have ?'s. What is a mule deers preferred habitat ? Should i spend time in the "High country" for 2nd rifle ? Should i be looking more in the dark timber ? Is a 4th rifle season a better opportunity ? for GMU 18 37.

I've been hunting them all my life and have found their habitat is wherever they decide they want it to be.

high mountains , desert, to farmlands . heavy timber or wide open country. have even see them in the city. was driving through denver several years ago, on the stretch of I-70 known as "the mousetrap", and had six or seven cross the interstate right near the old airport.

congrats on your buck!

pics man, pics!
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 240 Times in 52 Posts
    I have seen deer next to I 15 in southern CA just outside Victorville. Deer go where ever find water, cover and food.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm having alot of trouble loading pics. I get an error 500 message. I'm getting my wife to try and figure it out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also how far do most people go back when they backpack ? I've found several off the road spots that are 7 or more miles back. How likely will it be to run into another hunter there ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 171 Times in 62 Posts
    IMHO: After 3 miles, you'll leave 90% of the hunting population behind you. After 5 miles, 99%
    If I had a good spot, I would not hesitate to go 10-12 miles for a mulie. Now elk, that's a different story.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 6 Posts

In my experience in Colorado “up” is more important than overall miles. Three miles in an easy trail you will still have a bunch of hunters taking their rifles for a hike. If you go 1500 - 2000’ up a side ridge you will leave most of the hunters behind and find game that has not been as disturbed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to altitohunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast