Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mule3006Elk View Post
    Alta Loma, CA. Nice area to grow up. Spent a few years there.
    Thanks its still a nice place to live although the fringes are getting crowed
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sometimes its nice to have a fire out there in the back country, caveman TV! Other times just too beat to do so. It does not effect the game what so ever. One night just got settled in for the night, fire was burning down, bright coals smoking. When I heard then seen something making its way into camp closer. This real nice 4x4 mulie came tip toeing right up to my fire ring and sniffed the fire. Looked around then just eased on out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    I?ve always thought that the smell of a fire to game would make them leave the area. A defense mechanism that they would know that it?s a fire and that it could burn their living area and they would want to get away from a fire.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I?ve always thought that the smell of a fire to game would make them leave the area. A defense mechanism that they would know that it?s a fire and that it could burn their living area and they would want to get away from a fire.
    The biggest buck I have ever targeted...was found on the edge of a burn, the year that it burned. I was still fighting smoke that year and buddy actually happened upon the buck I was hunting and killed him a few hundred yards from the edge of the burn.

Having said that, I usually only burn in contained systems like what SO has to offer when I use floorless shelters.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I've watched deer in SE OR wandering around 1-2 miles in a burn while hot spots still gave off smoke. My guess is that part of the burn was 2-4 days "old". Not sure if they were returning to old haunts, looking for new growth already, just curious or ? But saw several small groups.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    I love to hunt burns. Just like Scott some of the biggest bucks I've hunted are on the edges of burns.

I get that part of a fire but I would doubt a deer would go towards a fire then go the opposite direction.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 6 Posts
    I have never had a fire while out in the back country hunting because by the time I make it back to camp I am beat. I usually eat, prep for next day and hit the sack!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainHigh View Post
    I have never had a fire while out in the back country hunting because by the time I make it back to camp I am beat. I usually eat, prep for next day and hit the sack!
    x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts

Campfire when hunting backcountry?

This is always interesting every time it?s asked. I?m sure sometime it hurts and sometimes it doesn?t.

We build a fire, not sure what the difference is. If a deer is going to smell the fire he?s going to smell a couple of unbathed hunters just the same. I don?t care what kind of scent proof clothing you are wearing.

The 175 buck my son killed last year wasn?t 150 yds from our tents when he killed him and my dad was still at the tents with a big fire going. We bedded about 8 deer down the evening before and camped about 200 yds from them and had a fire going from dark until 10pm when it started raining.
    Three of them were bucks and all three of the bucks came out together that close and they were bedded downwind from the fire. We didn?t expect them to come out the direction they did but it?s probably a good thing he had the fire going it probably covered his scent.
    My son was convinced the smoke was gonna clear the whole area out. )
    Last edited by stumpy waters; 06-01-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 147 Times in 26 Posts

Unless there is a burn ban in the area, which often doesn't mean anything to some people, there is a campfire going on almost every trail in the state of Colorado throughout the summer and fall months. I hiked into an area about 6.5 miles deep yesterday passing 10-12 camps. Had there not been a burn ban in place, I'm sure every single one of these camps would have had some sort of fire going the night before, and some likely did.
    "Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast