Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 4 Posts

LOL same here, my snoring would alert anything within 5 or 6 miles. Its kind of like whitetail hunting with "scent free" everything, until you pass gas or breath or oil your rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    I love sitting around a fire at the end of the day, never too tired for a fire and a single malt in a tin mug. I hate camping without a fire, the only time there isn't one would be due to fire bans. I can't even estimate the number of animals we have coming to within 30m and less of our camps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Typically not a true campfire if packed in, but I love my cylinder stove! If in either a truck camp or a packed in basecamp I will have wood set up and ready to light. I usually don't mess with it but I won't complain either if a buddy decided to torch it off.

My preference is to Just crash at night without starting a fire. I'm usually beat and it's well after dark. I just crawl in my bag to keep warm and break out the jetboil stove/mtn house. Once that's going I organize gear for the next morning so I can just grab and go; finalize my hunt plan for the next day, and load up the stove body with wood, any trash or wrappers from meals/bars, and just a few squirts of lighter fluid (I keep a small, partially full can of Zippo refill fluid, about 2oz). Then in the am when my alarm goes off I just touch off the kindling and go right back to sleep. About 15 minutes later it is so hot inside that tarp that you will literally jump out of that bag to get some relief. I sleep cold and the worst part of backpack hunting for me was getting out of my warm bag on those cold, cold mornings. It gets tempting to sleep in after 3-4 days or on especially cold mornings. But this system has worked extremely well for me. Really gets me moving on those days and makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable.

I have no concerns about the smoke disturbing animals. I don't even think they associate the smell of smoke with hunters.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have not built a campfire on any of my back country trips. I too worry about the odor and since I don't get many days in the woods out west I always try to maximize the opportunities. I do love the smell of smoke and the crackling of fires while camping. Just takes me back to a much simpler life and great appreciation of the great outdoors has to offer if we just turn off our phones & other devices.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    All my young life was taught not to get smoke on my clothes,critters/deer and elk don't care;just don't disturb them from noctural habits.,early am./late pm.upsets them..like me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 701 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 223 Times in 51 Posts

And they can't get a toddy to help them reaccumulate after you disturb them.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234