Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great Falls area

I have the possibility of moving out to Great Falls this summer or fall. The job would be 7 on 7 off so I would have lots of time to be out in the field. Can anyone give me some insight on what the hunting is like in this area? Most of my mountain west hunting has taken place in Wyoming around buffalo Casper and lander. Can I expect similar situation around Great Falls? I?m not asking for spots, scouring is half the fun lol. Is there a wide variety of game? What is the hunting pressure like? Would it be easy as a resident to get drawn to hunt around that area?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 277 Times in 21 Posts
    Grew up in GF, but a lot has changed since my time there. Go to MT g&f website and look at general unit maps. There are several ranges nearby that hold lots of game, as well as wolves and bear. My family has had a lot of historical success around the area. Be ready for cold and wind in GF!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 257 Times in 103 Posts
    Montana can be a great place to hunt and fish and with a little strategy you could plan some hunts in Wyoming and Idaho pretty easily with that schedule.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 22 Posts
    You will be able to hunt antelope through the draw system, deer/elk with a general tag or draw depending on the unit. Lots of good places to go and your close to the breaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 162 Times in 34 Posts
    Agree with all the posts above. Within 4 hours, you pretty much have it all available. For hunting purpose might arguably be the best place to be centrally located. Montana in general My year looks something like this:

September 1 - Jan 15: Deer & Elk Hunting, Antelope is in here and any special tags. Also Upland game birds.
    Jan 15 - April 15: Shed hunting
    April 15 - May 15: Turkey Hunting
    May 15 - June 15: Bear Hunting
    June 15 - July 15: Fishing
    July 15 - Sept 1: Scouting

So for me.... Paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Congratulations to Montana For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

islandlaker, we actually moved from Great Falls to Cheyenne about 6 years ago. If you end up moving there, shoot me a PM and I can help you out. Heck, maybe you can point some help my way here in Wyoming as I am still trying to learn the state. I know people look at me funny, but I had better general mule deer hunts in MT than I have had here, but I honestly haven't had much time to explore. anyway, there is good hunting around Great Falls, just depends on what you might be after.