Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 14 Posts

My normal hunting partner has been unavailable for a couple of years and there's no relief in sight.
    Soooo, I have been hunting solo more often lately.
    I really don't mind but my wife does, makes her very nervous.
    Hunting with a good partner is better ... but it is tough to find that person sometimes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    You guys hit on the other part of hunting alone....my wife hates it. I had to promise to take a sat phone or something like that on the hunt I'm planning to do this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts
    I hunt alone around home all the time mainly for predators and whitetail. I have not hunted alone out West yet. My best friend that grew up a mile down the road from me is my hunting partner for all the out of state adventures. My family did a little small game and bird hunting but his family hunted quite a bit. He was a late child in his family and missed out on the western hunts his Dad, Grandfather, and brother did when they were younger. His Grandfather was a big hunter but health issues kept him out of the field by the time we got old enough to hunt much. The rest of the family didn't have the drive to do the big hunts like he had so the family quit doing them.

We grew up listening to his Grandpa's stories and loading rifle ammo in his basement. We hunted and fished together around home a lot learning things the hard way. We always wanted to hunt out West so when we got old enough we started doing it. We learned a lot of that the hard way too but were lucky enough to make some connections that taught us a lot. As we get busier with our own families we still make time for one out of state hunt each year and usually a scouting trip also. Every once in a while unexpected tag luck gets us two hunts but we plan for one. I'm pretty lucky to have a hunting partner I know so well and that I can get along with. Our ideas and methods are very similar since we learned together. We bought some of our gear like the Seek Outside 8 man tipi together also and split costs on fuel and other expenses on hunts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 805 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 200 Times in 66 Posts
    My best hunting partner is my son. He grew up hunting with me in the East and went with me on my first Western hunts. He knows how I operate and I him. I groomed him into the hunter he is and utilize his strengths and mine. We are both in great shape, level headed, and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, his life is expanding with new house, family, etc. so I've tried out a few partners. Both on easy style hunts. One guy did great, the other not so much. I will step up the hunt challenge this year with the partner who did well on his first trip. I think he'll be 'ok'. This trip will dictate if he is 'the one' or if I go back to solo hunting which I've done during the in-between years. I love hunting the west to much not to go, even if it's alone. My other issue is finding folks near me who are dedicated enough to hunt hard for 6-10 days, prepare for said hunt, and set aside the time and $.

On a whim; last year I "met a guy on the internet- LOL" (hunttalk) who wanted to go elk hunting but had no partner nor had he ever been. He and I were going to be hunting close together, so after a few months of talking via phone and email, we met at the halfway point and rode together to our hunt area. I could tell he was sane, in good shape, and had general hunting knowledge. We hunted solo and together for 6 days. It worked out great and I now consider him a hunting friend. Unfortunately, we live in different states and have different levels of points in different states, thus the odds of hunting together in the future are slim for some years. However, it was worth it last year on OTC tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 89 Times in 7 Posts
    For years I hunted with whoever I could find that would go out west to hunt. Had some bad experiences and some good but never could count on one person to go and be committed to hunt hard. Finally my son got to be old enough to go and that is great for both of us. We have been doing trips for about 20 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. He lives in California, self employed so can set his time off as he wants. I live in Minnesota so we meet in the middle every fall and spend a week or so hunting together. He is always willing and able to do what it takes to make our hunts great. The time spent together is what I consider a successful hunt and if we fill a tag that is the bonus. Very lucky to have a great hunting partner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    I enjoy an occasional hunt alone. Very satisfying for me. Generally I hunt with others, which I enjoy, but it's different. My wife has accepted there are places I hunt where there will be no calls. I may start carrying a self rescue device, have not so far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn elk chaser View Post
    For years I hunted with whoever I could find that would go out west to hunt. Had some bad experiences and some good but never could count on one person to go and be committed to hunt hard. Finally my son got to be old enough to go and that is great for both of us. We have been doing trips for about 20 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. He lives in California, self employed so can set his time off as he wants. I live in Minnesota so we meet in the middle every fall and spend a week or so hunting together. He is always willing and able to do what it takes to make our hunts great. The time spent together is what I consider a successful hunt and if we fill a tag that is the bonus. Very lucky to have a great hunting partner.
    That is so great!! It doesn't get any better.
    You sir, are a lucky man indeed!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I have done quite a bit of hunting by myself. I think there are good and bad points to it. Sharing adventures with someone can be a lot of fun, but babysitting adults is not fun either. It can feel like guiding at times.

The key is matching ability/expectations/style/drinking/smoking/etc...

I have done a few hunts with folks I met one hunting sites. I had a good time on all 3 but there were certainly some challenges.

I think if I had a preference now it would be hunting with a small group, some solo hunting and meeting up to strategize in the evenings/mid day.

For casual hunting like antelope I prefer hunting with my wife, daughter, and dog. But someday I hope to find a good hunting partner for more serious hunting that requires more walking or getting up early.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts
    I often hunt alone but also hunt with partners .

probly 50-50.
    hunting alone makes for better stories
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 409 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minn elk chaser View Post
    I have a son , he is 54 and very busy running his own business. He's single and travels all over the country. He loves to hunt and we did a lot together when he was younger and not self employed. I do miss the times with him. BUT, I can remember when I was working, I had the same situation with my Dad. I was very busy on the Space Shuttle Program, an Engineering Manager with about 150 engineers I was responsible for. Hard to get a lot of time off, and what time I did was spent with my wife & young son. Easy to get sucked into climbing the promotion ladder, especially when the compensation matches your effort. I am sure my Dad felt the same way for about 20 years. He is talking about selling his business and retiring. He owns some land near us and wants to build a house. Hope he does, maybe I'll get my hunting partner.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Congratulations to Colorado Cowboy For This Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast