Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 85 Posts

Elk hunting, sometimes. Elk hunting, in Grizzly country, never.

Deer hunting, quite regularly.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 271 Times in 45 Posts
    Prime example.
    Built 8 deer and elk points in Colorado with a guy, then he decided he's out. So, I started buying points again on my own, and I'll go, you guessed it, solo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 49 Posts
    I always liked shooting pool and playing racquetball. Its a solo sport 1 on 1.

I think that why I like hunting big game alone most of the time. Its me VS the animals and if I loose I dont have anyone to complain about. Nobody's opinion matters. I hunt at whatever speed I want. Call it selfish I guess but I grew up in the middle of nowhere and didn't have many kids to play with when I was young so I did a lot of things on my own.

The logistics of mountain hunting and safety mostly force my hand when it comes to negotiating a hunting partner. I tried to convince the wife that the in-reach was a substitute for a friend but she isn't buying into it. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whew, I actually feel better about trying to put together a group hunt now, probably wasn't the intent of the thread, but thanks. I have been having a little bit of trouble hunting with a partner, but maybe it was just a mismatch in styles, drive, etc. I think I will try the community base camp approach this year. Good advise. I do enjoy both solo and with a partner, I just need a break from the other guy I think, especially when it gets to that point where I am getting a little tired, which for me means a little irritable (there goes any future partner prospects). Now I think I am going to try for a small group this year, and maybe bring back some info. from solo treks, then maybe get together again go get some meat. A little less nervous now for trying that out, thanks guys. I have been pretty fortunate to find a couple partners that have helped me along as a less experienced hunter. It can be super difficult to coordinate schedules and things that have been mentioned.

That is great for those guys that bring family along, have kids that became hunting partners. Is there any advise to give for someone who wants to bring along a teenager? He has done really well on day/weekend hunts, but how should I prepare him for a more arduous/weeklong trip? That is my goal this year, hopefully it works out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 177 Times in 32 Posts
    More reasons I like to hunt alone...

I have hunted with guys that like to make it a competition between members of the group. Who gets the biggest animal...who can tough out the worst weather..what percentage of the group filled out. I don't like that.

When I go hunting, the competition is between me and the animal...not between hunting companions. I want to enjoy the experience and make my own decisions on how hard to hunt...whether to pass on an animal...how long to stay, etc.

I was once in a turkey camp when the weather turned bad...rain/snow mix. One guy insisted that all four of us should continue to hunt in the rain/snow. Three of us wanted to wait out the weather. It caused a lot of tension because he was making us feel guilty for not hunting as hard as he wanted.

For a few years, I hunted with a group of elk hunters who were less dedicated than me. The first year we hunted together, I shot an elk. Since it was the first elk any of them had seen dead, they were excited to help pack it out. The second year...less so. The third year, it was down right unwelcome news when I got back to camp and announced I shot another elk. They had had enough of packing elk out of godawful country.
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 49 Posts
    My friend got uninvited from a bear camp because he killed a bear 4 years in a row in Pennsylvania. (FYI thats pretty much like hitting the lottery)

I know him well and he is a good hunter and killed them legit and not over bait. He was just in the right place at the right time.

Guys got ticked off and jealous and didnt want to help him drag them out.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    More reasons I like to hunt alone...

I have hunted with guys that like to make it a competition between members of the group. Who gets the biggest animal...who can tough out the worst weather..what percentage of the group filled out. I don't like that.

When I go hunting, the competition is between me and the animal...not between hunting companions. I want to enjoy the experience and make my own decisions on how hard to hunt...whether to pass on an animal...how long to stay, etc.

I was once in a turkey camp when the weather turned bad...rain/snow mix. One guy insisted that all four of us should continue to hunt in the rain/snow. Three of us wanted to wait out the weather. It caused a lot of tension because he was making us feel guilty for not hunting as hard as he wanted.

For a few years, I hunted with a group of elk hunters who were less dedicated than me. The first year we hunted together, I shot an elk. Since it was the first elk any of them had seen dead, they were excited to help pack it out. The second year...less so. The third year, it was down right unwelcome news when I got back to camp and announced I shot another elk. They had had enough of packing elk out of godawful country.
    Yeah, everyone wants to kill an elk until they have packed one out of rough country. Then it gets a lot less fun and more work.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 110 Times in 27 Posts
    So far for me it's been mainly alone for deer and antelope. Elk I have mostly hunted with a friend and that makes it a lot more fun I think. I think antelope hunting would be more fun with a partner as well. I might spend more than a morning on antelope if somebody else was looking over them with me. But I like being in the high country by myself for deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    I remember a friend the first time that he walked up to a elk laying on the ground. He just stood there and then said "wow they are big"

But we got lucky with that elk, it was only 100 yards from a road and just as we got done cleaning it along came a truck full of military men from Fort Carson. They came over to us to show their friends from the middle east what a elk looked like. I then asked them if they would help get him into the truck. They were about to just drag the bull to the truck but I drove it over to him and we loaded him in whole. All they would take in exchange for the help was most of the liver and heart. A half hour later I was home with a whole elk hanging in my garage.

The next year I paid for getting him out whole. A two day pack to get one out of a hole.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

10. The Following User Says Congratulations to JimP For This Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 805 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 200 Times in 66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Yeah, everyone wants to kill an elk until they have packed one out of rough country. Then it gets a lot less fun and more work.
    That's a true statement when asked immediately after completing any difficult task. However, a few weeks later we are ready to go again!!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast