Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 17 Posts

Great group and looks like an awesome load you have worked up. I haven't been on in a bit and should have responded sooner. Here is something to consider if no-one has really touched on it much and it has to do with cases.

Cases:
    1. Use the same brand of case and only ONE brand of case when you are trying to find a load in a particular rifle. Different cases will have different dimensions internally and different hardness which can and will effect your pressure levels with a specific load such as your one with 58.0 grs.
    2. If you are getting a mix of velocities and cannot figure out why, one of the reasons might just be that you are using Nosler, Remington, Winchester, Federal, and other brands trying to get an accurate load. You will never find the most accurate load for your rifle if you try and find a load using mixed brands of cases because of the velocity variations and other factors related to the different make-ups of the cases.
    3. I am no way trying to be harsh or anything here and am just trying to help you save some time, money, and make it a little safer for yourself when working on loads. I do hope this helps.
    4. You said you were going to bring your elevation on your group down just a touch for a 200 yard zero. I personally think it is perfect as it sits. The 270 is a flat shooting accurate cartridge that can reach out and touch something way out there and I think a 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" elevation above the point of aim at 100 yards is just perfect. That is where I have every one of my rifles zeroed at. It puts me just about right on at roughly 250 yards, two inches low at 300, about 12 inches at 400, and 24 inches low at 500 yards. I know where to hold at each of these distances and to me that's plenty far enough to be shooting at an animal such as a deer or elk under the best conditions.
    5. To me handloading your own ammunition and then taking animals with your loads adds just that much more to your hunt being that you made it yourself. I think it's similar to a fisherman who makes his own lures and flies and the satisfaction that comes from catching something with lures you made yourself. Best of luck and good shooting!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    Great group and looks like an awesome load you have worked up. I haven't been on in a bit and should have responded sooner. Here is something to consider if no-one has really touched on it much and it has to do with cases.

Cases:
    1. Use the same brand of case and only ONE brand of case when you are trying to find a load in a particular rifle. Different cases will have different dimensions internally and different hardness which can and will effect your pressure levels with a specific load such as your one with 58.0 grs.
    2. If you are getting a mix of velocities and cannot figure out why, one of the reasons might just be that you are using Nosler, Remington, Winchester, Federal, and other brands trying to get an accurate load. You will never find the most accurate load for your rifle if you try and find a load using mixed brands of cases because of the velocity variations and other factors related to the different make-ups of the cases.
    3. I am no way trying to be harsh or anything here and am just trying to help you save some time, money, and make it a little safer for yourself when working on loads. I do hope this helps.
    4. You said you were going to bring your elevation on your group down just a touch for a 200 yard zero. I personally think it is perfect as it sits. The 270 is a flat shooting accurate cartridge that can reach out and touch something way out there and I think a 2 1/2" - 2 3/4" elevation above the point of aim at 100 yards is just perfect. That is where I have every one of my rifles zeroed at. It puts me just about right on at roughly 250 yards, two inches low at 300, about 12 inches at 400, and 24 inches low at 500 yards. I know where to hold at each of these distances and to me that's plenty far enough to be shooting at an animal such as a deer or elk under the best conditions.
    5. To me handloading your own ammunition and then taking animals with your loads adds just that much more to your hunt being that you made it yourself. I think it's similar to a fisherman who makes his own lures and flies and the satisfaction that comes from catching something with lures you made yourself. Best of luck and good shooting!
    Thanks for the advice. I've been sticking to my nosler brass and actually tried Remington and have gotten very similar results, winchester not so much. I actually decided to stick with the 57.5gr load just to be a bit on the safer side, although I like speed but these are still going 3020-3070 at the muzzle which is well over 100fps faster than nosler trophy grade ammo and the accuracy is still there.

I too, would normally sight this rifle or a flat shooter like my 270 at about 2.5 high but I actually just received my scope back from leupold with the cds in which I opted for it to be zeroed at 200 instead of 100. Thus, the reason for shooting this morning was to re-sight this sucker in.

I should state that I was leaning towards using my 308 win as earlier stated with 165 accubonds on our cow elk hunt this fall, of which I've been working on a load for it and the best consistency I can get is about 1" groups, maybe a tad less. At this point, I'm now leaning towards using the 270 with the 130 accubonds considering how much more accurate it is. Only thing I can figure is my 308 just isn't super duper accurate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would also like to comment on how great leupold's customer service has been for me. I've read on several sites people bashing them; well, I originally emailed them in the spring asking about sending a scope in and it wasn't but a few days and I received a reply. Fast forward to middle of July, I mailed the scope off on the 16th I believe, received a letter a week later with more detailed instructions on payment and such. Called the following Monday to pay for it. I think in total it was from July 16 to Aug 10 or something that I didn't have my scope. When I paid for it over the phone the guy said it'd be back in about a month which was totally cool with me and to my surprise it showed up at my door I think 16 days after I made that payment. Leupold in my opinion is top notch across the board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,304 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 420 Times in 109 Posts
    You choose the right zero from Leupold IMHO. All of mine are zero'd at 200 yds.

Good luck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 17 Posts

With the CDS you are correct in using the 200 yard zero. Your 130 gr. loads should work just fantastic on your elk hunt. The friend that I load for who uses the 270 has taken several bulls with it using the 130 gr. Accubond and 130 gr. Partition. Both are wonderful bullets. Best of luck this fall!

David
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 6mm Remington For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345