Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

CO elk Preference Point, the "10 year requirement"?

CO preference points?My search of this forum for an answer came up empty, but I bet it is here somewhere. The CO wording on preference points includes this statement:

?If you do not apply or hold a license for that species at least once within 10 consecutive years for a bear, elk, deer or pronghorn, your preference points for that species will be lost.? Later in paragraph it repeats "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points"

The question is: Does applying for an elk preference point (with the PP hunt code) satisfy that requirement of "apply for a license", or do you have to actually apply for a certain area/season instead?

Words sometimes do not mean what they seem?.I know in some states that the ?act of buying a preference point? is considering ?applying for the species? to keep points active. Thanks much.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 16 Posts
    I'm no lawyer and legalize doesn't always mean what seems to be plain. Still, I would certainly think so, but why not just apply for an out of reach unit every so often to make sure? If you call the hunt planner number they can probably tell you the answer or ask for the licensing department.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Of course you are right...they have the answer, but today my hold times with both of those dept. you suggest were too long for my schedule....I waited too close to the April deadline & they're plenty busy. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    Just apply before the deadline. That way you are covered. Then, call the Ft. Collins number and ask your questions for future reference. Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    CO preference points?My search of this forum for an answer came up empty, but I bet it is here somewhere. The CO wording on preference points includes this statement:

?If you do not apply or hold a license for that species at least once within 10 consecutive years for a bear, elk, deer or pronghorn, your preference points for that species will be lost.? Later in paragraph it repeats "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points"

The question is: Does applying for an elk preference point (with the PP hunt code) satisfy that requirement of "apply for a license", or do you have to actually apply for a certain area/season instead?

Words sometimes do not mean what they seem?.I know in some states that the ?act of buying a preference point? is considering ?applying for the species? to keep points active. Thanks much.

I have obtained 20 elk and deer points by using the preference point code and I am doing the same again this year. I have never applied for a specifc hunt yet. I think you are good!

Horniac

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horniac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 621 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 313 Times in 41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post

The quote you posted only says you need to "apply" and does not say you need to "apply for a license". The quotes posted say "If you do not apply OR hold a license..." and "You must apply at least once in a consecutive 10 year period to keep your points".

I am 99.999% sure you are fine applying for a point only. Every state I know of has a point in time they can terminate your points if there is no activity. Myself, my wife and my kids have all held piles of points in Colorado and applied for points only for years. My son currently has 15 deer and elk points and I have only put him in for points.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-31-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well Horniac, that first person experience sounds like something I can rely on. Thanks to all

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just checked the 2018 deer and elk regs, here is the current wording (page 18).

"POINTS ACCUMULATE until you draw a first-choice license. If an applicant both fails to apply for a species and has not purchased a license for that same species during any given 10-year period, all accumulated preference points for that species become void."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just checked and did not realize I was quoting a 2015 brochure link. So do you feel the 2018 wording changes anything, or not? I may not be able to follow thread for a few hours...see you folks later

Thanks
    Congratulations

The wording is "apply for a species". When you apply for a point for a specie your are applying for that specie. We've been buying points in Colorado for nearly 30 years. Specifically, I've been applying for points for my six kids since 2002 and never applied for a tag for them, only preference point codes.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-31-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast