Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Arrow question?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts

    Yea I don't know if that is the way to do it or not. I just follow the Easton chart for my axis arrows and have had good luck. I was shooting Easton epic 340s at 28.75" long with regular inserts and 100gr heads and about 68lb and they were slightly weak. I switched to Easton axis 300s with 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr heads and they fly very good. So I went up a size in spine, but reduced the spine some by adding heavier weight up front.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    1,328
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 339 Times in 263 Posts
    Congratulations
    165
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    Thanks for all the input so far... I checked the FOC and I'm getting 10.7%. That's with a field point and not a broad head though. So obviously that will change. I was just curious what it was now. My arrow as it sits is only at 370 grains. I'd like to get it a little heavier but am still concerned that adding too much weight will cause me to be under spined with a 400 shaft. Guess I'll find out!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far... I checked the FOC and I'm getting 10.7%. That's with a field point and not a broad head though. So obviously that will change. I was just curious what it was now. My arrow as it sits is only at 370 grains. I'd like to get it a little heavier but am still concerned that adding too much weight will cause me to be under spined with a 400 shaft. Guess I'll find out!
    Keep us posted!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    1,011
    Thanks
    216
    Thanked 254 Times in 189 Posts
    Congratulations
    251
    Congratulated 96 Times in 17 Posts
    Depending on how comfortable you are with a shorter arrow, you could always trim an inch off, then add more tip weight. Not sure if they completely even themselves out, but I'm at 501 grains with a 27" FMJ. I use a 100 gr head with a 50 gr insert on arrows cut to 27" even though I'm a 28" draw. Not much room between the rest and the bh, but it has been working for me.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 939 Times in 591 Posts
    Congratulations
    234
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far... I checked the FOC and I'm getting 10.7%. That's with a field point and not a broad head though. So obviously that will change. I was just curious what it was now. My arrow as it sits is only at 370 grains. I'd like to get it a little heavier but am still concerned that adding too much weight will cause me to be under spined with a 400 shaft. Guess I'll find out!
    If this is a dumb question or I missed something in your post then forgive me. Do you shoot all year with a different size field point than your broad head ?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts
    I can’t answer for CoHiCtry, but I know if you shoot a longer broadhead, the balance point will be slightly further forward than a field point. I think that difference is pretty small, but it is measurable.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    1,328
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 339 Times in 263 Posts
    Congratulations
    165
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    If this is a dumb question or I missed something in your post then forgive me. Do you shoot all year with a different size field point than your broad head ?
    No, I'm currently using a 100 gr field point. As bow runner mentioned, a broad head will be a little longer than the field point so that would change the over all length and balance point slightly when figuring FOC. Probably wouldn't be a bunch though...

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado
    Posts
    2,164
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 939 Times in 591 Posts
    Congratulations
    234
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    No, I'm currently using a 100 gr field point. As bow runner mentioned, a broad head will be a little longer than the field point so that would change the over all length and balance point slightly when figuring FOC. Probably wouldn't be a bunch though...
    Agree.

    After rereading I'm not sure where I got the idea you were hunting with 125g broad heads and practicing with 100gr points during the year. Disregard.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Colorado Mountains
    Posts
    1,328
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 339 Times in 263 Posts
    Congratulations
    165
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Agree.

    After rereading I'm not sure where I got the idea you were hunting with 125g broad heads and practicing with 100gr points during the year. Disregard.
    No problem. I am wanting to switch to a 125 grain broadhead to increase the weight of my arrow. I’m still concerned that with a 400 spine I will be under spined if I start increasing weight.

    I’m starting to think I should have went with a 340 spine instead of 400. Then I could have gotten to a higher arrow weight without being under spined. Surprised the shop didn’t give me that option. Guess it’s my fault for a lack of knowledge at the time & not asking more questions.
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 03-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •