Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrow question?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts

Yea I don't know if that is the way to do it or not. I just follow the Easton chart for my axis arrows and have had good luck. I was shooting Easton epic 340s at 28.75" long with regular inserts and 100gr heads and about 68lb and they were slightly weak. I switched to Easton axis 300s with 50 gr brass inserts and 100 gr heads and they fly very good. So I went up a size in spine, but reduced the spine some by adding heavier weight up front.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 22 Posts
    Thanks for all the input so far... I checked the FOC and I'm getting 10.7%. That's with a field point and not a broad head though. So obviously that will change. I was just curious what it was now. My arrow as it sits is only at 370 grains. I'd like to get it a little heavier but am still concerned that adding too much weight will cause me to be under spined with a 400 shaft. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far... I checked the FOC and I'm getting 10.7%. That's with a field point and not a broad head though. So obviously that will change. I was just curious what it was now. My arrow as it sits is only at 370 grains. I'd like to get it a little heavier but am still concerned that adding too much weight will cause me to be under spined with a 400 shaft. Guess I'll find out!
    Keep us posted!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 17 Posts
    Depending on how comfortable you are with a shorter arrow, you could always trim an inch off, then add more tip weight. Not sure if they completely even themselves out, but I'm at 501 grains with a 27" FMJ. I use a 100 gr head with a 50 gr insert on arrows cut to 27" even though I'm a 28" draw. Not much room between the rest and the bh, but it has been working for me.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    If this is a dumb question or I missed something in your post then forgive me. Do you shoot all year with a different size field point than your broad head ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can’t answer for CoHiCtry, but I know if you shoot a longer broadhead, the balance point will be slightly further forward than a field point. I think that difference is pretty small, but it is measurable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    If this is a dumb question or I missed something in your post then forgive me. Do you shoot all year with a different size field point than your broad head ?
    No, I'm currently using a 100 gr field point. As bow runner mentioned, a broad head will be a little longer than the field point so that would change the over all length and balance point slightly when figuring FOC. Probably wouldn't be a bunch though...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 44 Posts
    No, I'm currently using a 100 gr field point. As bow runner mentioned, a broad head will be a little longer than the field point so that would change the over all length and balance point slightly when figuring FOC. Probably wouldn't be a bunch though...
    Agree.

After rereading I'm not sure where I got the idea you were hunting with 125g broad heads and practicing with 100gr points during the year. Disregard.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Agree.

After rereading I'm not sure where I got the idea you were hunting with 125g broad heads and practicing with 100gr points during the year. Disregard.
    No problem. I am wanting to switch to a 125 grain broadhead to increase the weight of my arrow. I’m still concerned that with a 400 spine I will be under spined if I start increasing weight.

I’m starting to think I should have went with a 340 spine instead of 400. Then I could have gotten to a higher arrow weight without being under spined. Surprised the shop didn’t give me that option. Guess it’s my fault for a lack of knowledge at the time & not asking more questions.
    Last edited by CoHiCntry; 03-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12