Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prerylyon View Post
    Not my bag, but, if you have the rig AND the skills to reliably make clean kills at 'long range' I'm not gonna stop ya...

Thing, is, many may see a TV program with 500+ yard kill shots and not take the skills and rig part to heart.

I saw my tent mate make a 550+ yard kill shot on a bull on an outfitted mountain hunt some years ago But, he was lobbing ICBMs at it with a tricked out Weatherby 30-378 and he clearly knew how to use it. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    there are many out there ,perfectly capable of making those shots.

that said,I think it is safe to say MOST (not all) who do take those shots are just lobbing em out there in hopes of hitting something. and many of them don't really care if they , wound em and lose them.
    in fact I would be willing to bet many out there would laugh when such a thing happens and then go search for another chance to wound or kill till they are finally successful.

I doubt many here would condone or approve of such a thing but would be willing to bet some few would.

so because of those few dummies, some wish to condemn all who do it.

not a good idea IMHO. hunters must remember there are those out there who would condemn all hunters for the actions of a few and I expect most would agree they don't like it when that happens.

if I see someone doing something I don't approve of I will generally say so. but also figure it best to set an example by my own actions and not worry to much about what some few idiots do.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 03-19-2018 at 06:29 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 177 Times in 32 Posts
    Some the most unethical long shots I have seen over the years involve duck hunters and antelope hunters.

I grew up in North Dakota and did a lot of waterfowl hunting. I saw many people shoot too far and wound ducks that went into a glide. Seldom did they even bother to go look for them. And many of those duck hunters couldn't tell one species from another when flying. Some could hardly identify the species when they had them in hand...especially the hens. Generally overall pretty sad!

And given the open prairie, antelope often tempt people to shoot too far. I once saw a truck come by and the guy hopped out to shoot at a buck several hundred yards away. The buck ran off, so the hunter left thinking he missed. I watched the antelope run 100 yards and fall over dead.

Like I said, antelope and waterfowl hunters often take too long a shots.
    Don't fence me in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    Some the most unethical long shots I have seen over the years involve duck hunters and antelope hunters.

I grew up in North Dakota and did a lot of waterfowl hunting. I saw many people shoot too far and wound ducks that went into a glide. Seldom did they even bother to go look for them. And many of those duck hunters couldn't tell one species from another when flying. Some could hardly identify the species when they had them in hand...especially the hens. Generally overall pretty sad!

And given the open prairie, antelope often tempt people to shoot too far. I once saw a truck come by and the guy hopped out to shoot at a buck several hundred yards away. The buck ran off, so the hunter left thinking he missed. I watched the antelope run 100 yards and fall over dead.

Like I said, antelope and waterfowl hunters often take too long a shots.

You should come to Pennsylvania. It is truly the land of the skybusters.....lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    never been a duck hunter them thangs just taste fowl to me.

much easier and cheaper to just scoop up and eat a handful of mud for same result

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    never been a duck hunter them thangs just taste fowl to me.

much easier and cheaper to just scoop up and eat a handful of mud for same result
    That’s too bad. I’ve really enjoyed eating a lot of ducks. I have had some that weren’t the best but it’s definitely in the preparation.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Personally my limit is 450 yards knowing The ballistics of my 300 WBY along with my abilities. After 450 you had better have a very accurate range range on the animal. A difference of 30 or 40 yards at these distances can make a big difference in imapact. All that being said my goal is always to get a 200 yard or less shot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dan maule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    It's great to have the long range ability, especially in a worst case follow up shot, but I agree with dan maule that we should strive for shorter, gimme shots.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    That’s too bad. I’ve really enjoyed eating a lot of ducks. I have had some that weren’t the best but it’s definitely in the preparation.
    to each their own. I love shooting them , just can't stomach them , so I don't shoot them .
    I have on a couple occasions eaten duck that was edible (crocodile dundee quote comes to mind) but I prefer to eat food that is naturally tasty without the need to " flavor it up".
    Last edited by kidoggy; 03-22-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 781 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    to each their own. I love shooting them , just can't stomach them , so I don't shoot them .
    I have on a couple occasions eaten duck that was edible (crocodile dundee quote comes to mind) but I prefer to eat food that is naturally tasty without the need to " flavor it up".
    I get that side of it. I like garlic salt
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345