Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by missjordan View Post
    As a person, if you are extremely comfortable with your firearm, and also put the time in during the off season. Then I say go for it. Get as close as you can but if you absolutely can?t get closer, then make sure you have the skills, confidence, proper equipment, and the math to take the shot anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My feelings exactly ^^^^^^^

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 93 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rammont View Post
    Most of us overestimate our marksmanship skills, quite often we think that because we can hit paper or steel out to 1000 yards from a bench we could easily hit an elk at 600 yards in the field. The reality is that field shooting at an animal just isn't the same as sitting calmly at a bench and shooting at an inanimate object at a known distance.

I have a friend that comes over from another state and he assured me for 2 years that he could easily hit an elk from any shooting situation/position with his .300 Short Mag at any range out to about 600 yards. I kept trying to get him to practice from a field position on my property before elk season started but he was very confident that he didn't need to waste his time. Last season he learned the hard way that shooting a good sized bull at over 300 yards isn't as easy as most people believe (which is surprising since he claimed to have taken "many" elk). He made two attempts at two different elk over two consecutive days at around 380 yards and he missed both times. I finally convinced him to use his pack as a rest and to get on his belly to make the shot. On the third day he finally got his elk with a 283 yard shot from a prone position over his pack.

I simply don't see any reason to take a shot past 400 yards, you aren't starving so it's not like you need to take the animal in order to survive, other than survival, there is absolutely no reason to HAVE to take a longer shot. Those that need to brag about those long range shots have no compassion or concern for the value of the life that they take, they think that taking those kinds of shots make them better than those that don't. For me they haven't got anything to brag about because I don't consider them hunters. It's not hunting when you can just lay there and take multiple shots at the animal and it doesn't even know it's life is in danger. Hunting is all about knowing your prey and being able to work your way close to it by using your knowledge about it's habits and needs. If I were limited to using a bow or a handgun then I wouldn't have a problem with having to make my shots at less than 100 yards, yes, my hunts would be much more difficult and I'd go home empty handed more often but I know I'd still enjoy the hunt.
    I don't entirely disagree with your thinking,but I would stop short of saying they are not hunters.

hunting is to seek something to kill and then kill it.

I know most get all warm and fuzzy , saying it's not about the kill. that is true ,it is NOT ENTIRELY ABOUT THE KILL. but let's be honest ,the kill IS the goal we ALL strive for.

who am I ,or you to say what others do is not hunting.

far as I am concerned, if legal, it is ethical.
    just because it is not something we would do, does not give us the right to tell others they can not.
    we do however have the right to be unimpressed

I also am not fond of shooting at long ranges but there are many out there that are very capable of doing it.

I am certain that no mater what you hunt or how you do it ,there is someone who will say what you are doing is "unethical".
    Last edited by kidoggy; 03-13-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    far as I am concerned, if legal, it is ethical.
    I can think of a few exceptions to that.

I limit myself to 300 yards. Sneaking up to animals if half the fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jtm307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    The reason I only bowhunt is to be as close to the animal as possible. I believe it intensifies some primal link between predator and prey. I am strongly against any shot at game that takes the projectile longer than 1/2 second to reach the animal. Even calm animals can unexpectedly move a good distance in that amount of time.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    The reason I only bowhunt is to be as close to the animal as possible. I believe it intensifies some primal link between predator and prey. I am strongly against any shot at game that takes the projectile longer than 1/2 second to reach the animal. Even calm animals can unexpectedly move a good distance in that amount of time.
    (shrug)same thing can happen when shooting with a bow at ten. string jump??????????

if one has time to study an animals behavior from a distance ,one can time the shot and be relatively certain the animal will stand still,till bullet gets there .
    no situation is a 100% certainty.(cept death an taxes) that's why folks practice. to achieve the skill that gives them the best chance to make that clean kill, regardless of the type hunting they enjoy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jtm307 View Post
    I can think of a few exceptions to that.

I limit myself to 300 yards. Sneaking up to animals if half the fun.

agreed , it is.

I can think of no exceptions . what are yours?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 411 Times in 77 Posts
    Interesting thread. I bow hunt and rifle hunt. There is something about hunting mule deer with a rifle that is just in my blood. With a good solid rest I won't hesitate taking a 400yard shot at a buck. But that's my max. I've watched my brother drop deer at much longer distances that I would never attempt but he has the rifle and scope combo and endless shooting hours behind his shots and it always amazes me. I enjoy getting as close as I can, that is fun for me but sometimes you catch yourself on an open hillside and glass a group of deer up in an unexpected spot not giving you many options than to shoot or watch them run if you creep any closer. One of my favorite hunts my son was with me, his first time out while in was after deer. This same scenario played out and a small but perfectly semetrical typical 4 was feeding with some smaller bucks. I love typicals of all sizes! 390 was the range and I didn't dare sneak closer but I was able to get into prone and use backpack as a rest. With son watching through my binos that buck dropped hard and fast. With these amazing optics we have a 400 yard shot really isnt all that far. Confidence earned through knowledge of your skill and weapon is key. But you must stick to your limits.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    Practice and a dead steady rest is paramount. I’ve missed Antelope and deer at 200 yards laying prone with my rifle on a back pack. Not my best days in the field but have to admit my issues. Now I use a bi pod and a rear bag to keep my gun dead steady.
    I can shoot at the range to 1300y with very good results but it’s day and night compared to the field then the range. No way in gods green earth would I attempt a shot that far at a big game animal.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    You can?t put a number on ethics. I personally like to get as close as I can with what ever weapon I carry. I?m more apt to brag about how close my shot is than how far. I rely way more on my hunting skills than my shooting skills.

Some may think it?s unethical to shoot at a running deer, I?ve killed quite a few Blacktail on the run, we used to make drives and that?s what the shot was. I see show where they say ?now wait till it turns broadside and take the shot? I would have already been gutting the deer out by the time they decided to shoot.

I personally am not a fan of long range shooting. Not for rifles, muzzleloader or bow. Give the animals a sporting chance.
    Like the underlined quote

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BHunt98 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 5 Posts

Not my bag, but, if you have the rig AND the skills to reliably make clean kills at 'long range' I'm not gonna stop ya...

Thing, is, many may see a TV program with 500+ yard kill shots and not take the skills and rig part to heart.

I saw my tent mate make a 550+ yard kill shot on a bull on an outfitted mountain hunt some years ago But, he was lobbing ICBMs at it with a tricked out Weatherby 30-378 and he clearly knew how to use it. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast