Thread: First Pack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Pack

I'm sure all of you forum regulars have seen many threads like this before, so I apologize for the redundancy in advance.

I'm not new to hunting out west, but I am new to backpack hunting. The elk and muley hunting I have done so far has been out of a base camp. I've been building bonus/pref points in many states for deer and elk for quite a few years now while I hunt OTC units in Colorado, and I know most of these premiere units will require me to hunt out of a backpack. While I am a very serious whitetail bowhunter (I hunt probably 50-60 days per season in various states), I'm definitely not used to hunting out of a pack carrying everything on my back. Now, this year I plan to hunt my regular OTC units in Colorado, but I plan hunt from a pack instead of a base camp. I feel like it will be the perfect practice for me since the only backpacking knowledge I have has come from many, many books, Eastmans' articles, and podcasts, HOWEVER, I will be within a few hours from my regular base camp and the rest of my hunting buddies in case something goes wrong.

I have spent several years researching what gear I will need, so I won't ask that here. What I do want input on is what pack to choose. I am looking for a 4,000-5,000 cu inch pack that I can use on weekend-multiday hunts, but I'm not opposed to something a bit bigger that I can stretch into longer hunts. I have done alot of research on pack companies, and have narrowed my search down to the Mystery Ranch Metcalf, the Kifaru Reckoning or Fulcrum, and the new Stone Glacier EVO 40/56. I'm focused more on durability rather than ounce-shaving for this instance. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Mystery Ranch. I would appreciate any feedback or info.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    Welcome to the forum

Please head over to the new members section and give an intro

The packs you have listed are all great packs. Stone Glacier is my favorite, a buddy just got a Kifaru and it is a very well built pack as well. Eberlestock has some great offerings for what your looking for too.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 6 Posts
    You might want to check out Blacks Creek Packs. I have the Cure, which is a lumbar pack. A couple of buddies have their larger ones and are really pleased with them. You won't deal with nicer people.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 7 Posts
    Mystery Ranch Metcalf or the Marshall would be suitable. Remember to keep in mind how the fit is for your build. They are all different and a pack of this nature you talk of is a big investment. Good luck...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Your 'short list' looks solid. Check out Linton Outdoors, I ordered the MR Metcalf/Guide Light frame a couple months ago from them for $420, which is about $100 off retail. I can't say how the pack performs yet, since I haven't trained or hunted with it yet, but it appears very well made, just based on close inspection.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    Check out Sitka's packs ... mine fits me great, which is probably the most important thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 12 Posts
    I really like my kifaru AMR. Honestly though I have been getting a itch to try a stone glacier or exo....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hornhunter full curl system