Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 24 Posts

WY Proposed Grizzly season

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/e...a4fb494c0.html

The first Wyoming grizzly bear hunt in over four decades will target 24 animals if commissioners who oversee the the state's wildlife sign off on a proposal released Friday.

A topic of fierce controversy, the hunt is being devised in a way that state officials hope limits the chance of the bold large carnivore being shot in public view, or killed adjacent to Grand Teton National Park. A no-hunting zone will abut the east boundary of the park, and throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem it will be illegal to kill a grizzly within a half-mile of a named highway, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Chief Warden Brian Nesvik said.

?The intention is to address public concern that was focused on there being hunting and wildlife viewing going on at the same time,? Nesvik said.

Half of the overall statewide quota ? 10 male bears and two females ? is being distributed among six hunt zones that fall within a 19,279-square-mile ?demographic monitoring area? in the Yellowstone region?s core. Another 10 boars and two sows will be targeted outside this area, in outskirts reaches of the ecosystem where the federal government is not imposing limits on hunting.

The rules on hunting outlined in the draft regulations greatly differ inside and outside of the monitoring area, which encompasses Jackson Hole.

To ensure no more than two female bears are killed, a maximum of two hunters at a time will be allowed afield within the monitoring area.

?People will put in for a license, but we will only take the top two on the list,? Nesvik said. ?They would essentially be able to choose any of those six hunt areas up until the time either the female mortality limit is reached, or the sub-quota for that particular area is reached.?

Outside of the monitoring area, the dozen hunters who draw a license will not be subject to the same two-at-a-time system. Carrying the state-issued texting device will also not be required outside the monitoring area.

?Outside the DMA,? Nesvik said, ?we?ll issue licenses like we would an elk area.?

The legal season for grizzly bears will be mid-September through mid-November, and the state has for now ruled out a springtime hunt, which exists for black bears.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuzzH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 148 Times in 13 Posts
    I wonder when the application season will begin once approved. My name will be in the hat!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 27 Posts
    Really just an amazing Grizzly Bear success story, to even be in the position to offer 24 tags. Probably a good idea to try and limit interaction between hunters and the general public.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhunter View Post
    I wonder when the application season will begin once approved. My name will be in the hat!
    July 2nd- July 16 is proposed in the draft regulations for application period

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mntnguide For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopefully we get to see some big bears taken and hope the politics don't get in the way of a quality hunt.
    I don't like the plan to keep hunters out of site from road areas.
    It makes it seem like there's something to hide or like we are ashamed of something.
    I understand the worry though. We don't need a unsavory YouTube flick or a shocked liberal millionaire lawer to start pulling for a hunter hanging.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millsworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I saw something on another site that said $6,000 for NR and $600 for R. Yikes!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HighPlainsHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsworks View Post
    Hopefully we get to see some big bears taken and hope the politics don't get in the way of a quality hunt.
    I don't like the plan to keep hunters out of site from road areas.
    It makes it seem like there's something to hide or like we are ashamed of something.
    I understand the worry though. We don't need a unsavory YouTube flick or a shocked liberal millionaire lawer to start pulling for a hunter hanging.
    I agree but after the Cecil the Lion uproar I can understand why...sort of.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 68 Times in 12 Posts
    I can't wait, my money is already burning a hole in my pocket. Any word on if they will limit the method of take? Like they do Buffalo .270 caliber and bigger, and what about bows? Just a few questions i had. But if there is one tag i would like it's this one for sure!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 174 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsHunter View Post
    I saw something on another site that said $6,000 for NR and $600 for R. Yikes!
    I would pay that in a heart beat.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 90 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I would pay that in a heart beat.
    Maybe the $600 resident fee... no way I would pay $6 grand for any tag! I’ll let the rich guys duke it out for those overpriced tags

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast