Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Questions about access

I am planning an antelope hunt in the next couple of years and was thinking about Unit 23, I know there is almost zero public access to the BLM land in that unit, but in my research I found a little chunk of state land that is bordered on 3 sides by BLM. When I cross referenced with the State Land Access map it showed that little square as purple and labeled it as "State land with adjacent public road access (non-state)". I guess my question is, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean it's a public road i.e. for use by the public but maintained privately? If that's the case do I still need to gain permission from the road owner or owners? For anyone trying to find what I am looking at the section number is 48N 77W block 16 in Antelope unit 23, that little block of state land would lead into a big ole piece of BLM if I can get access to it. Any help on this would be much appreciated, I am trying to do as much research on this as possible. Also, I'm sure this particular subject has been beat to death already, but I'm not finding the answer to my particular question anywhere else. Thank you in advance to anyone that will field my question, it's very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    county road possibly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 18 Posts
    Looks like that access is from a named road through the BLM. I would send an email to the Campbell County Road and bridge Superintendent and ask if Schoonover, Beaver Creek and Powder River Roads are county maintained and public roads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 13 Posts
    Heck you will have a rifle and ammo I figure all roads are public.

Just kidding assume nothing when on rural roads in Wyoming. Make sure of access prior to application.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 14 Posts
    Only thing I'd add is that if you know you have a year or 2, buy a point each season. It's hard to guess what a 1 or 2 point unit will be by then, but I would bet that you would have a chance to get an area with more publically accessible antelope country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you all for the replies, I plan on building a couple of points and definitely keeping my options open. All this map cross referencing can get a bit tiresome, so I may end up trying for a more accessible unit just to keep the headaches at bay. I will definitely shoot an email up to the county superintendent and see what he says. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good news!!! I just got off the phone with Johnson County, WY roads and bridges. As it turns out, schoonover and powder river road are county maintained, those roads give direct access to a big chunk of BLM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 18 Posts
    Good luck with your draw then!! Glad to hear you got a good answer. Right to the source is always the best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohunt View Post
    Good news!!! I just got off the phone with Johnson County, WY roads and bridges. As it turns out, schoonover and powder river road are county maintained, those roads give direct access to a big chunk of BLM.
    Good on you for being pro-active and doing the leg-work. I'm in your same situation in Unit 21. You could also use the Chamber of Commerce as a resource. The Chamber of Commerce research let me find the larger ranches in my unit and out of a dozen, one replied......and politely said they use an outfitter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mohunt View Post
    Good on you for being pro-active and doing the leg-work. I'm in your same situation in Unit 21. You could also use the Chamber of Commerce as a resource. The Chamber of Commerce research let me find the larger ranches in my unit and out of a dozen, one replied......and politely said they use an outfitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast